Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

header heating up

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
cauleys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cauleys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: header heating up
    Posted: January-18-2016 at 1:42pm
Have a 1983 2001 ski nautique. While winterizing it I noticed the header on the left side got hotter than the one on the right, it was smoking a little. Did not run but maybe 5-10 mins. Any ideas what I need to do to fix this problem?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2016 at 1:49pm
Mike,
Have you blown any RWP impellers lately?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
cauleys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cauleys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2016 at 1:54pm
replaced the rwp impeller last year
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2016 at 2:02pm
Mike,
What condition was the old impeller in that you replaced? What I'm getting at here is a blockage on the starboard side. When you drained the block and manifolds, how much sediment came out?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2016 at 2:10pm
Only slightly hotter or much hotter ?

While running with a garden hose, it's perfectly normal for one to run slightly hotter than the other.
cauleys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cauleys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2016 at 2:41pm
To answer both the old impeller was not too bad and I do not drain to winterize, I take top off water filter, stop up the hole for water pickup and pour antifreeze in bowl, it get sucked into the engine.    I was not running on hose I was running in lake in boathouse.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2016 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by cauleys cauleys wrote:

I do not drain to winterize,

Didn't drain first
Where are you that you get away with this not recommended practice? Ether you have been very lucky or you are in an area that doesn't get that cold. Have you ever drained the block and manifolds to look for sediment?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
cauleys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cauleys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2016 at 7:29pm
Live in south Alabama, not too cold. Never have drained block.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2016 at 8:39pm
proof that draining is important

"3 of the 5 plugs after I pulled them out shot out clean water."
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2016 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by cauleys cauleys wrote:

Never have drained block.

Maybe it's time to see what's inside. Make sure you probe the drain holes with a piece of wire while draining just in case there is junk inside. Have you ever flushed the cooling system in a car?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
cauleys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cauleys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2016 at 2:03pm
I will drain the motor, but no disrespect, could that be what's causing the overheating problem or should I look for something else?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2016 at 2:15pm
A blockage is the most likely cause of drastically uneven temps.

I would open up every entrance and exit point, and inspect. Take a good look at the stat housing and hose going to the hotter side as well.
cauleys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cauleys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2016 at 12:20pm
Thanks, will check that out.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2016 at 12:39pm
When you drain take note if water or antifreeze comes out first, you likely will be surprised to find the block still has water in it when doing a suck-up without draining first.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic