Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

low oil pressure in gray marine 70

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
clarkieo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clarkieo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: low oil pressure in gray marine 70
    Posted: May-14-2016 at 3:38pm
Just ran my recently acquired atom skier with a gray marine 4 cylinder 70 hp motor. I don't think it has been run in a few years. I kept my eye on the oil pressure gague (original) and the pressure went up to around 20 then dropped back to 0. I shut it off, checked oil, it was fine and tryed again this time without oil pressure. I rigged a oil gague on the oil line connection on the oil cooler, tryed again without any pressure. Let run a little longer and could not hear any sign of engine noise, bearing rattle, etc. Motor sounded real strong.
Any ideas? Think motor has a oil pressure relief valve, could this be the culprit?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2016 at 4:02pm
Clark,
Yes, there is a spring loaded relief valve and it's adjustable but, I'd suggest at least pulling the pan and do some investigating. Remember the trans is bolted to the pan as well so it may need to be loosened.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
clarkieo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clarkieo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2016 at 4:35pm
Not so easy, This is the boat that has a complete rear deck over the top with a hinged engine cover.

If the oil pressure relief valve would have stuck open and not released would it kill the oil pressure?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2016 at 5:40pm
Clark,
The pressure relief is there to bypass oil at higher rpms when the pump is pumping an excess the engine doesn't need. Yes, if it's stuck open, all the oil would be going back to the pan and not the engine. I would not run the engine until you find out what the problem is. You could end up with a major issue. Would you continue driving your can with the oil light on? Pull the engine. The hinged hatch cover is there for a reason.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
clarkieo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clarkieo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2016 at 8:47pm
Problem solved, ignorance on my part, between boat being tilted on trailer and down a little on oil the sump wasn't able to pick up the oil, got good,steady pressure now.

Was able to launch boat and take it for my first cruise and was very pleased. It's no Barefoot but will be a lot of fun on my little lake, it's got a nice snarl to it.

Thanks for all your help
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2016 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by clarkieo clarkieo wrote:

Problem solved, ignorance on my part, between boat being tilted on trailer and down a little on oil the sump wasn't able to pick up the oil, got good,steady pressure now.

Clarck,
Great you found the problem but do check for the proper oil level. I'd say the oil level was down more than just a "little" if you were sucking air with the boat tilted up on the trailer. Remember they like many boats of that era run bow high when on the water.

Also, don't forget an oil with decent ZDDP levels when you change the oil. I run Valvolene VR1 20-50 in all my boats.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic