Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

302 reverse rotation engine

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
z3tyger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote z3tyger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 302 reverse rotation engine
    Posted: May-23-2016 at 12:15pm
I took on a project 1979 Ski Tique that some one had started and realized it was not as simple as they had assumed. The original engine was thrown out and replaced with an automotive engine before they realized that the rotation was not the same. The install was not completed and engine was not fired. The boat was stored for 2 years until I acquired it. Now I cannot locate and without ordering a re-manufactured or new engine. Any assistance in locating an engine or any leads would be greatly appreciated.    
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2016 at 12:21pm
Welcome to CCF. Where at in Indiana?? Several of us are Hoosiers. How mechanically inclined are you. You can convert that engine over to RR. Acquiring the parts is the hardest part. Nice looking boat.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
z3tyger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote z3tyger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2016 at 12:33pm
A few more details: engine model ERC WRR10, firing order 1-8-4-5-6-7-3, Pleasurecraft Marine Engine Co. on the exhast manifolds
Velvet Drive Model 10-17-001, ratio 1:1, Borg Warner
Cuda Chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cuda Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2016 at 12:37pm
Link Ebay listing for a reverse rotation long block. It will be much easier to purchase a long block and swap over all your accessories.
1968 Barracuda Super Sport
Cuda Chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cuda Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2016 at 12:39pm
Link You may need a reverse cam gear too. I would double check the part number.
1968 Barracuda Super Sport
z3tyger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote z3tyger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2016 at 12:48pm
I'm in the Warsaw area. I am a fairly handy guy when it comes to turning a wrench but I seemed to be getting conflicting information locally on what would need to be done. I figured I had better turn to those who take pride in their boats and help share and compare information for everyone's sake. I would be open to changing the rotation as long as it could be accomplished without sacrificing the integrity of the engine. I'm all ears, thanks!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2016 at 1:02pm
I would not run a LH engine in that hull, it will ride/handle poorly with a LH prop.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2016 at 1:07pm
You will need a RR cam for sure. The crank "may" be use able as is or with another type seal or have grooves ground out. (providing it has grooves, I'll post pics) E-bay long block is another option as stated above. Your distributor may be RR already if it is from the former engine. Teeth lean this way \\\\\\.    I'm in Morgantown. Down in Brown County
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2016 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I would not run a LH engine in that hull, it will ride/handle poorly with a LH prop.

Tim, I think he meant to say changing his LH engine over to a RR stock type engine.
        1978 Mustang (modified)
z3tyger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote z3tyger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2016 at 1:32pm
That's the last thing I want. I would rather reverse the engine rotation than lose function and handling.
93/70 ccpb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 93/70 ccpb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2016 at 1:36pm
go to craagslist flint mi.73 mustang parts boat 600.00 for whole boat 302 sbf motor looks to be in good shape.contact curtis 810 293 8601
what you dont want to hear from jbear and bill.you cant get in the boat till you get your minute,and they throw you back in water!
z3tyger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote z3tyger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2016 at 1:52pm
Thanks for the lead to the ad. I sent a message and hopefully it is still available.
z3tyger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote z3tyger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2016 at 4:34pm
First, let me thank you all for the warm welcome and insight. 93/70 ccpb, thank you for the lead to the ad. I was able to connect with the seller and purchase the boat this past weekend. The donor boat is all but stripped and ready for disposal. Should anyone need anything off of a 1973 mustang, aside from the engine, please don't hesitate to ask. The seats were gone, several gauges damaged, stingers were shot, and the trailer absorbed the weight of a large limb and now leans to one side. Again, thanks for the help in getting this Ski Tique back in the water!
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2016 at 5:40pm
yay! good to hear!
inquire anytime
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Little one View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Little one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2016 at 8:45pm
I have an engine in Monticello
Little one View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Little one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2016 at 8:50pm
Dustin @(219)487-8323
z3tyger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote z3tyger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2016 at 11:03pm
I appreciate the offer but I purchased the donor boat for its motor.
93/70 ccpb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 93/70 ccpb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2016 at 11:10pm
z3tyger glad i could help.dan in ohio.
what you dont want to hear from jbear and bill.you cant get in the boat till you get your minute,and they throw you back in water!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic