Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2010 SAN 230 - PCM 409 ticking diagnosis

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
davist86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davist86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2010 SAN 230 - PCM 409 ticking diagnosis
    Posted: May-23-2016 at 12:19pm
Hello,

We've recently purchased a used 2010 SAN 230 and during the demo there was some clicking from the engine. I was assured by the in house mechanic that the noise was normal. Can someone with a PCM 409 confirm? Is this sound normal?

https://youtu.be/rVVJxqWgAWQ

Thanks!

Davis
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2016 at 1:11pm
Sounds like a sticking lifter but really need a mechanic's stethoscope and need to vary RPM's. Does it go away with increased RPM's ? What is the oil pressure gauge reading during this ticking? I'd keep looking if the seller says that is normal. It is not.

Compression and leak down test should be a mandate on this and any other boat just to get a good read on health. Would be good to know more detail--how many hours, what does the crankcase oil look like, service history, type of use, what oil
Change intervals were followed and what oil was used etc etc
Mountain Man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2016 at 2:15pm
2nd on the valve lifter. Also, some fuel injectors make a clicking noise when they open/close.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2016 at 3:10pm
Fuel injectors sometimes at startup but I don't believe that sound is from a fuel injector. Let's get some z06 feedback from this thread. Might also ask on Planet Nautiqie where those z06's live in droves!
davist86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davist86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2016 at 3:34pm
Hello,

The engine was cold while doing the demo if that helps. Unfortunately, we've already purchased from out of state so this is my problem now.

I will be taking it into my local nautique dealer when it arrives next weekend.

Any other opinions are welcome. I've also posted in Planet Nautique for opinions.

Thanks
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2016 at 4:58pm
Welcome!   Hopefully it's something small.   Do you plan on boating in Samammish?    I know several people who have used Pacific Nautiques for winterizing etc. certainly a small shop, but they must sell a lot of boats, Lake Tapps is full of boats with their sticker on them.
davist86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davist86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2016 at 5:26pm
Thanks for the welcome! We plan on boating Lake Washington and Samammish.

Crossing my fingers that it is something small as well. Pacific Nautiques will be the one to look it over and diagnose. This our first boat so i'm hoping we don't start out with a huge problem.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2016 at 5:54pm
Well if he seller says the problem is normal then they probably won't mind paying for a new lifter or valve job. You're lucky to live near two of the most beautiful lakes in the USA! I'll have to look you up when I'm in Bellevue next trip out!
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2016 at 7:44pm
Flexplate is another possibility. That is in between the engine and transmission, attaches to the flywheel. In that case, some clicking is somewhat normal at low rpms.
davist86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davist86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2016 at 9:53pm
Thanks. The boat was in neutral if that helps.

From what it sounds like, most likely lift valve.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2016 at 10:38pm
Ouch I would have to say lifter for sure not a damper plate rattle
Hope you got a good deal that leaves enough room for valves/ lifters
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2016 at 10:57pm
Honestly I'm betting one sticky lifter and maybe free it up with some running. Z06 engines are notorious for lifter issues and it's not a hugely expensive fix. Intake manifold and valve covers then nuts and bolts. Corvette guys say to use Lunati link-bar lifters to replace the OEM lifters--I have no idea really. . 3-4 hours labor should get it done at a car dealership--I'd think the same for a boat dealer if they have a good engine "wrench" on staff.
davist86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davist86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2016 at 12:25am
Thanks Tryathlete. I'm hoping you are right and a full tank of 92 octane with marine stabil will free it up.

I'll be sure to keep everyone posted when our local dealer takes a look.

If it does require new lifters, the out of state dealer that we purchased from will be hearing from me.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2016 at 12:44am
Just remember every used boat is going to have issues. Work through them and put them
Squarely behind you and you'll be pleased when you get there.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic