NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Strut Bushing

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
tstafford View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tstafford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Strut Bushing
    Posted: May-19-2004 at 1:22am
The bushing in my 68 Mustang wont come out. I made a slide hammer out of washers and threaded rod. No luck. Remove the strut? (the set screws were removed first)
Trevor 1968 Mustang
66polyhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66polyhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2004 at 2:26am
The bushing is rubber in a brass tube. Use a hack saw blade, without the saw frame, just a saw blade and a pair of vise grips and saw the bushing, or maybe two stacked together, from the inside. This will cut a relief, the bushing will shrink in diameter, and come out. I am assuming you have the shaft out, of course.
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2004 at 2:58pm
I wouldn't advise removing the strut (alignment is critical), you can get the right leaverage even crawling under the boat...I thought that was why we bought these old things.

When you do get it out (good suggestion pollyhead)...save the old one and use it to beat out the next one 300 hours from now.

Cromagnon mechanic
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
kenny g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenny g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2004 at 4:20pm
trevor,that bushing is 2" deep inside the strut,[tranny side]a snap-on 15/16 deep well socket will slide rite in.
i would not hammer to hard with that strut bolted to the hull my friend !
64 is correct,alignment is critical,but i would remove it b4 i went nuts with the sledge. remember wd-40 works great on rusty metal.your dealing with soft brass & corrosion or calcium deposits holding that bushing in.i used lime away bathroom cleaner.laugh if you wont to but i got the damn thing out ! i hope this works for tou as well.

still can't find that spell check button !
kenny g
tstafford View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tstafford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2004 at 6:44pm
Thanks guys.

I tried the socket and hammer before I posted. I was worried about the stress on the boat. When I have some time I will try the hack saw, hammer-socket method. What the hell, Lime Away cant hurt.
Thanks again for the advice.   
Trevor 1968 Mustang
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic