Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Engine Turnover Issues and Dies while Idle

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
RadarSenate View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RadarSenate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine Turnover Issues and Dies while Idle
    Posted: May-31-2016 at 6:05pm
1985 Ski Nautique 2001.
351 Commander Engine
Raleigh NC

I bought this boat 12 months ago and while it had cosmetic imperfections it was solid mechanically.

The only problem was the neutral lock doesn't always register as being engaged. Thanks to the forum I found a replacement throttle to resolve that issue.

However, this summer when I her dropped her in for the first time I ran into a different issue. She would crank but wouldn't turn over. I engaged the throttle a few times to throw some fuel to the carburetor and after that she started right up.

But if I let her drop into idle (or slightly above idle, and in idle reverse) the engine would die on me. So if I had to float I would cut the engine to avoid the problem, but then every time I tried to crank it took more and more time, and I had to pump the throttle every time.

This eventually killed my battery.

I am using an underpowered battery and just upgraded to a group 27 hoping to solve that particular issue. But I still cannot figure out why she dies at idle and why I have to pump the throttle every time to start.

Has anyone ever dealt with this problem or have any suggestions?
1985 Ski Nautique 2001
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2016 at 6:45pm
Jake,
I suggest looking into rebuilding the carb. You have spark since it sounds like it runs when you put some gas down it manually. Todays gas over layups doesn't do the carb any good. Did you add any fresh gas? Do you use a fuel stabilizer for layup? The other issue may be the fuel pump. If it's never been changed or rebuilt, the alcohol in ethanol will eat the old type rubber parts in them. Testing a fuel pump is done with a pressure gauge T'd into the line from the pump to the carb. Pressure should be around 6 PSI.

You say you have an "underpowered battery. The recommended size is 450 -500 amps. What was the one that failed? Also, never use a deep cycle battery for cranking the engine.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RadarSenate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2016 at 7:02pm
I added about a half tank of fresh gas. Also used a stabalizer before layup and and additive after layup. The fuel pump is original to the engine. That sounds like the issue then as my PSI gauge was showing 2 PSI. I will test the proper way and look into the Carb as well..

I'll make sure I won't use a deep cycle.
1985 Ski Nautique 2001
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2016 at 9:36pm
If the fuel pump solves it maybe the carb is still good to go. Might as well run it for all it's worth.

Don't go huge on the battery either. As others have stated, big Cranking Amp batteries don't have much room for plates and they're more fragile than lower rated batteries. That's why Mr. Home Depot says to go with a 450.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2016 at 9:26pm
If it dies at idle, that's a sign you might have a vacuum leak. While it's running, spray some carb cleaner down each side of the intake. If it revs up you have a leak.
Tim D

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RadarSenate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2016 at 10:11am
Thanks for the info. I'll pick some up today and test it tomorrow.
1985 Ski Nautique 2001
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic