Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rear end rattle

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Dave Island View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Island Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rear end rattle
    Posted: May-23-2004 at 2:07pm
I have arattle in the rear end. It sounds like something is loose. Has anyone had soemthing similar?
nauti girl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nauti girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2004 at 2:58pm
I heard a rattle last week. When the panic subsided, I checked the set screws in the shaft coupler. One was not very tight - I tightened it; the other was pretty tight, but I put another ~1/16 turn on it. The rattle went away. Also check your prop nut.
Nauti Girl
--I think my husband uses his own login now!
cisom View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cisom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2004 at 7:43pm
Mine has a rattle at idle speed. I understand it is the dampener plate between the flywheel and transmission and is quite common.
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2004 at 12:44am
yup, its a damper plate. It has about 6 springs on the outside and the springs over time just rot off. It's about a $150 part from PCM and your Nautique dealer should replace it. It is 4 hours to do this because they have to pull the tranny. Sucks.. don't run with it rattling. You risk totally out your tranny then. My 84 I replaced last spring...
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2004 at 1:06am
Could be the sign of a tuning problem.

Mine rattled. All new parts...engine rebuilt, new tranny and damper plate. Scared me to death!

Once I tuned the engine and re-aligned...all the noise went away.

64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic