Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New damper plate fitted correct?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
dougie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New damper plate fitted correct?
    Posted: August-23-2016 at 4:14am
Hi all,

So I've recently bought a 1989 ski nautique 2001. When purchasing the boat I noticed she rattled when selecting gear and on low revs so I've bought a new upgraded damper plate which I fitted this weekend which I purchased from nautiqueparts.com. My problem is when I started her last night on the trailer the damper plate is ever so slightly rubbing on the gear box or bell housing? The new plate is bigger than the old, I just lined up which holes matched and fitted her. I took the starter motor off when running and you can hear her just scuffing the housing. Do I need to file anything down?. I also didn't tighten the bolts through starter housing. Should I? The new damper plate seemed a very snug fit to all three bolts, so I tightened before refitting box.

On the plus side she now goes into gear very smooth. So the old plate was the problem

Any help is much appreciated
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2016 at 8:04am
Our past member Eric who used to be with FFM a rebuilder of marine transmissions always promoted tightening the damper via. the started hole. I never totally agreed with the idea since as I have found and you have as well, the mounting bolts are a tight fit and some are actually a shoulder type bolt so there's really no way to get the damper off center. I don't feel you would gain any clearance if you re tightened through the starter hole. Who's brand of plate did NP supply? Grinding or trimming the OD would be my suggestion.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
dougie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2016 at 10:57am
I don't no the brand, it's the only one NP list. PCM transmission PCM#R140016A.
I'm just stripping the box out again now to see where on the bell housing it's rubbing.

Thanks for your info, it's much appreciated.
dougie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2016 at 4:21am
All sorted now. I took the box out again and grinded a couple of mill out of the box where it was catching. I took the damper plate off again and re fitted with the bolts hand tight. Then drilled a hole in the box, re fitted the box and tightened damper bolts through hole. Started her last night and she runs very smooth. There was a little movement from the prop shaft around the stern gland. There is now no movement at all. I believe that is down to me tightening the damper bolts through the hole I drilled.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2016 at 10:33am
I went thru the same stuff. Trimmed the OD of the damper plate, & also drilled an access hole in bell housing.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic