Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What thermostat for 256 Y-block

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
63 Atom Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Atom Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What thermostat for 256 Y-block
    Posted: October-18-2016 at 7:56pm
I pulled out the thermostats from my Ford 256 y block, and just wondering which one to put back in it. It is marked a 145 degree thermostat.

I also didn't see any remnants of a gasket, but I see the kits come with a gasket - should I also put a gasket on it?
Thanks!
Jason
Jason

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Atom Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2016 at 8:24pm
Couple of corrections...it looks like it's actually a 143 degree thermostat and it did have a gasket on it (it was a little more apparent when I pulled the second one out...so I will be putting one back on).
Jason
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2016 at 9:46pm
Jason,
Where did you find the T stat's? They aren't easy to find!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Atom Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2016 at 8:15pm
Yeah...I didn't think they were that hard to find. Basically they were right where the coolant pipes go into the block and just before the temperature sensor. A couple bolts and I had each one out.
Jason
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2016 at 9:15pm
Jason,
You misunderstood my question. Did you get new stats and where did you buy/find them?

It was about 15 years ago when I installed new stats in my 312. I went to Napa and they worked on finding them for over a week without success. I also made a bunch of phone calls to people I know through the ACBS thinking I would get some leads but that too was unsuccessful. 15 years ago the internet wasn't like it is today ether. I ended up having to go to Watercraft Sales and the old mechanic there found someone who had NOS. The mechanic never told me were he found them!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Atom Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2016 at 11:00am
I actually haven't found them yet - the closest I've got is I found a 150 degree that is the right diameter, but I'd really like to find a 143. I'm going to go around to some more local marinas and see what I can come up with... There are some 143's online, I just don't know what diameter they are. At the end of the day, if I don't find the 143's, the 150's I'm thinking will work, just don't want to give up the quest just yet...
Jason

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Atom Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2016 at 11:01am
By the way, Napa was my first stop too. But all the automotive ones are all hotter...they didn't even list any 143's in their book.
Jason
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2016 at 11:47am
Jason,
If it helps, the stat is an Eaton part. It's the small diameter that's the problem.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic