Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

boat starting issue supra ts6m

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
cmanning816 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmanning816 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: boat starting issue supra ts6m
    Posted: February-06-2017 at 3:48pm
I picked up a non running 1987 supra comp. ts6m for 1500$ I will be bringing this boat back to life.

I got the boat running after some plugs and wires were replaced after a day on the water boat was cruising at around 35mph for about an hour.
I get back to the dock and turn the boat off and tie up to get trailer. when I come back to start the boat nothing happens no start all accessory lights bilige and all work but no start.
I did notice that the volt meter on the dash was only reading 12 under full throttle so I thought the battery (optima red top) had died.
so I get the boat home and throw a fresh redtop on it and the starter solenoid engages and the starter runs away. I had to disconnect the battery to get it to stop.
so I didn't know if it was the starter solenoid or the ignition so I replaced them both. after the replacement I went to start the boat the starter solenoid melted.
so I jumped my ignition so I just had a single switch to the starter solenoid and same thing it just starts to heat up.

any info or related pics for the relay/wiring of a working boat would be much appreciated I have been at this for a month now going in circles thanks in advance
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2017 at 4:32pm
Any time you are heating up or melting something you have a direct ground.
Trace your battery wires and make sure you know which is Positive and which is negative.
Once those are correctly identified you will start working your way through the system.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2017 at 4:37pm
Disagree. Heating up and melting is indicative of excessive current draw. That can sometimes be the result of an improper ground. I wouldn't rule that out in this case but the symptoms sound most like undersized/corroded battery cables/connections. Possibly combined with a battery that isn't fully charged.

Step 1 verify connections are correct, and clean.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmanning816 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2017 at 5:10pm
so the battery was at 12 volts but only 50% charged so I put the charger on the 125 amp setting (engine start) and its still dragging but not as bad but the trans is spinning some wile I try to crank but dosent seem to be 1:1 with the motor maybe just friction trying to spin it..
I am going to trickle charge the battery in the mean time.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2017 at 5:30pm
If the battery is the optima you mentioned you may want to read up on properly charging that battery, They have some specific guidelines for the blue tops so imagine the red tops may as well

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmanning816 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2017 at 5:39pm
Yea its called deep cycle charging agm batteries i have proper charger and battery is good so im a let it charge an get back to diag
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2017 at 6:47pm
Here's a diagram for you courtesy of TRBenj

It should be just right for your 87 Supra since it's for a 351 PCM engine.

How's your starter? maybe all that current draw is because of a bad starter

Along those same lines, how's your alternator? 12 volts on the dash gauge makes me think the alternator isn't working and you're just reading battery voltage. The alternator should be putting out 13 to 14 volts.

PS say "Thanks Tim". I've seen him get a little cranky when somebody steals it and puts it on the Mastercraft website without giving credit where it's due

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmanning816 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2017 at 6:52pm
I know the alternator is bad I have a warrenty on the starter I'm going to switch it out this week fully charge all my batteries. but thanks for the diagram I'm gonna jump in the boat soon. need this done so I can do the floor and interior this may turn into a build thread!!!!
thanks again!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic