Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

91 Nautique Won't Start

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
91NaughtyQ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 91NaughtyQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 91 Nautique Won't Start
    Posted: August-22-2017 at 1:35pm
91 SN with 470 Hours. Changed from Pro Tec to Points (PCM RETRO KIT) 2 years ago with no issue. Boat has always run fine.

Went out yesterday and turned the key over and nothing. All gauges, blower, etc.... are working. Turn the key to start engine and nothing. It doesn't even try to crank. I don't know where to start, but assuming possibly a fuse somewhere? You guys have been great help in the past so this was the obvious place to start. Thanks in advance.

Gary
1991 Ski Nautique
(Previous)1984 Ski Nautique 2001
bwinn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2017 at 2:14pm
Did u make sure it's in neutral position on throttle lever? I know mine can need a touch fore or aft occasionally.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 91NaughtyQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2017 at 2:21pm
BWINN,

Thanks for the reply. Yes I checked that numerous times. It seems okay.
1991 Ski Nautique
bwinn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2017 at 2:29pm
Gary, next step will be to go to the starter solenoid. Two small posts. With a test light one end on ground and other on the small post. Should light up when u try to crank it.
-burton

Sorry no pics my lunch is over

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 91NaughtyQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2017 at 2:35pm
Okay I will check that. Thanks!
1991 Ski Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 91NaughtyQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2017 at 3:11pm
I tested it. I grounded it and held the test light on the terminal where the battery connects. It lit up immediately without even turning the key. Note when I turn the key I do not hear a click or anything. Does that sound right?
1991 Ski Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 91NaughtyQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2017 at 3:15pm
I see I need to do one more check to make sure it is transferring power when turning the key right?
1991 Ski Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 91NaughtyQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2017 at 3:20pm
"next step will be to go to the starter solenoid. Two small posts. With a test light one end on ground and other on the small post. Should light up when u try to crank it.
-burton"

Just did this check. No light when cranking....
1991 Ski Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2017 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by 91NaughtyQ 91NaughtyQ wrote:

"next step will be to go to the starter solenoid. Two small posts. With a test light one end on ground and other on the small post. Should light up when u try to crank it.
-burton"

Next step is to do the same at the NSS (neutral safety switch) on the trans.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 91NaughtyQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2017 at 3:58pm
Ok will do. That is the two small white wires right at the back just below where solenoid is right?
1991 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2017 at 4:00pm

Ok will do. That is the two small white wires right at the back just below where solenoid is right?

Yes, the two white wires go to the NSS.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 91NaughtyQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2017 at 11:14pm
Update - NSS was good. Replaced solenoid and all is good. Thanks guys!!!
1991 Ski Nautique
bwinn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2017 at 11:16pm
Great to hear Gary!!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2017 at 11:48pm

With a test light one end on ground and other on the small post. Should light up when u try to crank it.
-burton"

Update - NSS was good. Replaced solenoid and all is good. Thanks guys!!!

Somethings wrong with your testing the start relay! But, you got it going and that's the important step.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2017 at 9:01am

91 SN with 470 Hours. Changed from Pro Tec to Points (PCM RETRO KIT) 2 years ago with no issue. Boat has always run fine.

Went out yesterday and turned the key over and nothing. All gauges, blower, etc.... are working. Turn the key to start engine and nothing. It doesn't even try to crank. I don't know where to start, but assuming possibly a fuse somewhere? You guys have been great help in the past so this was the obvious place to start. Thanks in advance.

Gary

I know you got it straightened out, but your mention of changing to points caught my attention.

The PCM retro kit you reference is a Mallory electronic distributor with no points

You might want to look under the distributor cap

Maybe you went full stone age retro and swapped the electronics for points

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 91NaughtyQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2017 at 9:30am
Keno - I probably used the wrong terminology. I have learned on here that it is best to give a basic rundown of the engine so I was letting you guys know I had swapped the protec out. Anyway, the fact you caught that is why I came here first. Smartest bunch of folks about all things SN on the planet. Glad to be part of the group.

FYI - Here is what I got..... http://www.skidim.com/PROTEC-RETRO-KIT-PCM-FORD/productinfo/RK107025A/
1991 Ski Nautique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2017 at 9:56am
That's what I figured was the case as far as the distributor.

Glad you didn't go full retro stone age
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic