NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Foam

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
tstafford View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tstafford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Foam
    Posted: June-03-2004 at 3:14pm
Well, the new stringers and bulkhead are in and it's time for the foam. Does anyone have a source and advice on refoaming? How much foam will I need? Cost?...
Trevor 1968 Mustang
ken@ckbd.com View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ken@ckbd.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2004 at 4:28pm
Trevor,
I did the foam thing 11 years ago on my Mustang. At the time the only product I could find was called "Mountains in Minutes". It's used by model railroaders to create foam mountains and landscapes. I was able to buy it in 1 gallon cans (2 parts) and we used about 4 or 5 sets of the stuff (8 to 10 gallons). There's a lot of waste that gets cut away. I just tried a search on Yahoo and nothing showed up...it may not be available anymore, I don't know. I know it was expensive stuff back then.
Jeff at CC told me that the key was to use a 'closed cell' foam. The spray foam you get in a can at Home Cheap-o' is not closed cell and not recommended.
Also, invest in plenty of latex gloves and a good resperator mask!!!
Good luck.
68 Mustang
Rbest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rbest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2004 at 5:15pm
I used TAP X-30 Polyurethane Foam
http://www.tapplastics.com
Did you take any pictures?
Rob 68MustangSS
ken@ckbd.com View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ken@ckbd.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2004 at 5:55pm
Rbest,
I don't know if Trevor took pictures, but I did; lots of them. I have to find them and scan them into my computer to share with everyone.
Do you have any pictures of that SS?
68 Mustang
kenny g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenny g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2004 at 6:28pm
TREVOR,call john greer,619-238-1919.for flotation [closed cell]foam.they will ship it to you.
how did the gunwhale pattern work out for you ?
$65 for a set,1 set = 2 gl of product - 1/2 of it is waste + shipping cost.it's cheeper to buy it in 5 gl buckets'but shipping cost go's up
kenny g
Rbest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rbest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2004 at 2:36am
I've got a couple of me putting the 351 in. I am far from being done.
Rob 68MustangSS
tstafford View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tstafford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2004 at 11:31am
Ken, how many gal. will it take to do the job?

The paterns that you sent are great. I am waiting to finish the floor before I tackle that project. With the floor in I can be sure of my mesurements.
Trevor 1968 Mustang
kenny g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenny g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2004 at 12:04pm
trevor,i have not put the foam in yet i figured on 4 sets,= 8 gl .when you check www.john greer website you'll see it's cheaper just to order 5gl part a and 5gl part b . i removed ALL the foam in mine,up in front it's almost 3' thick.only yhe lowest part at the keel was wet ,but as i was digging it out i ran into a nest of little black hungry piss ants.sooo..all the foam,and ants are gone

sorry about that trev,it's www.jgreer.com
kenny g
77stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2004 at 12:46pm
US Composites. here's the specific page. http://www.shopmaninc.com/foam.html
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic