Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

99 gt40 runs great in the morning and evening.

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Averysconcrete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Averysconcrete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 99 gt40 runs great in the morning and evening.
    Posted: August-18-2018 at 9:26pm
Hey guys, just joined this forum and am a first time Nautique owner. Im having a problem with my boat and it seems to only happen in the middle of the day when its hottest out. She will run fine all morning, we'll take a lunch break, and take it back out and it will die and,won't start till latwr in day when its cooler again. The engine temp is normal, the fuel filter has been changed, the fuel pressure is normal, the spark plugs and distributer are good. Any Ideas? I feel like it thinks its over heating so its shutting down bit like I said its temp is normal. I have a 95 ski nautique with a 99 gt40 efi engine. It has 360 original hours.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2018 at 1:02am
which fuel pump system '95 or '99

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Averysconcrete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2018 at 1:04am
I believe 99,

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Averysconcrete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2018 at 1:07am
All the paperwork I have from the boat suggest that the original owner had a problem with the original 95 engine and had the whole thing replaced I would assume that would include the fuel pump system?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2018 at 1:47am
Avery- Here is a picture of a late model GT40. The later fuel system has the FCC which is circled in red. Is this what you have?

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Averysconcrete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2018 at 2:17am
Yes that is it
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2018 at 3:17am
Avery, perhaps check your injectors - as they age they've been known to start dripping when shutting off. A few small drops won't hurt anything but when it gets to be more than this it can lead to hard or no starts in the short term after shut down - kind of like flooding the engine with a carb set-up. Just a thought, and probably one of several possibilities.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Averysconcrete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2018 at 12:53pm
Thanks gt40KS. Wouldn't my fuel pressure be low if that was the case? Also I haven't seen any evidence,of leaks. Or would it be all internal? I took it to a shop (don't think inboards are there specialty) and they ran A lot of tests on the fuel and pressure. He mentioned that it might have something to do with ignition if changing out fuel filters didnt work? I guess it is hard to fix something if you can't get it to happen while its at your shop. I feel like heat has to have something to do with it because this only happens in the middle of the day. Typically we ski early in the a.m and by noon we are gone so this might of been a problem all along but just found out about it on a house boat trip we went on. Again my temp gauge has never read high but I seems like boat is shutting itself down because it thinks it's hot?
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2018 at 1:15am
Fuel pressure would be the same while engine is running, leaks would be internal within the combustion chamber. An injector that drips fairly profusely when you shut the engine off may very well junction fine and flow within normal specs while the engine is running. The problem occurs because it is leaking fuel into the cylinder after shut-down, effectively 'flooding' your engine and thus making it hard to restart. But this being only one possibility and considering you say it only happens in the heat of the day, might just be a contributing factor, if at all.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Averysconcrete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2018 at 1:20am
Someone had mentioned ot might be ignition coil? Any thoughts on that. Not sure I understand how heat would affect that but any ideas? Thanks everyone for your thoughts

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Averysconcrete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2018 at 1:23am
When it shuts down its like the kill switch got pulled. And didnt get put back in when you try to start it again
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2018 at 1:39am
Early on you mentioned thinking that the boat shuts down because it thinks it hot.

It has a high temperature warning and a high temperature "limp mode" where it will be limited to about 2500 to 2700 rpm but there is no automatic shutdown o high temperature.

It does sound ignition related.

Coils can do funny things as they heat up

You also have 2 relays at the back of the engine, one for the ECM and one for the fuel pumps. If the ECM relay is getting bad it could shut the engine off like you describe.

Not saying it's the problem but you could replace both relays and if it's not the problem, then you have a couple of spares to keep in the boat

The link is to a thread with info on relays

link
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2018 at 1:43am
Don't think these modern coils would over heat like the old oil filled ones could. You need to run it til it quits then see what your fuel pressure is and if you have spark -then go from there.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Averysconcrete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2018 at 1:56am
Thanks guys. I'm familiar where the 2 relays are but not ignition coil. Where is that located?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2018 at 2:00am
Follow the wire from the center terminal of the distributor cap and at the other end you'll find the coil.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Averysconcrete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2018 at 2:02am
Thanks Keno. Ill keep you guys posted. Appreciate it
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic