Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

opinions on a 1973 nautique

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Aguyinajeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aguyinajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: opinions on a 1973 nautique
    Posted: June-09-2004 at 4:17pm
Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Justin and I have been looking for a ski boat for a few months now and have decided on a ski nautique. I found a 1973 locally and i have a few questions. The boat seems like it is in decent shape but there are a few areas that need addressing. None of the lights work but it has new gauges. The rub rail is in horrible shape. Can these still be found? The nose of the deck has so cracks in it from possiblely the trailer. Looks almost crushed. I havent heard it run yet...he's working on getting it started. Its got new carpet and there doesnt seem to be any soft spots. The trailer is home made, not the best to look at and kind of rusty (he used the boat in salt water). It also has the 318 chrysler motor in it. He's asking right under 4k. Should i move on or consider?
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2004 at 4:40pm
Saltwater is really hard on the engine if it isn't flushed after every use. The lights could be just burnt bulbs, bad sockets or a fuse, get a test light or multi-meter and check for voltage at the wires and if you have power then it shouldn't be hard to fix. The rub rail can be replaced pretty easily but is time consuming to due. The 318 is a pretty solid motor from the way some of the guys talk that have them but I would be a little gun shy with the saltwater use but ask the guy if it was left in the water or removed after every use and flushed.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aguyinajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2004 at 4:46pm
well he said he flushed it after every time he used it...it looks pretty straight...has some surface rust on the mounts and transmission. He replaced the risers 3 years ago and they look decent. Its an ok lookin boat except for all the fading and the rub rail. Its got one spider crack on the corner where it looks like someone may have come in a little too hot. He's trying to get it started today and I am supposed to go look at it tomorrow again.
Tribal150 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tribal150 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2004 at 5:13pm
I paid 4k for my 76, it sounds in similar shape to what I started with, except mine had a fresh rebuild on motor and tranny, I would offer him 3200 and go from there.

Rob
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2004 at 5:18pm
doesn't sound like a bad deal as long as the motor fires up. If the motor becomes a problem you could always rebuild it just cut him on the price, I would cut him on the price already just because of the saltwater use but 4K-5K is average price for a fresh water 70's nautique even if he doesn't come down.
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2004 at 11:35am
The rub rail can be purchased thru West Marine and other suppliers. It is a product manufactured by TACO. To do the entire perimeter of the boat should run somewhere in the neighborhood of $200. You can also look TACO up online and find the specific part.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

kenny g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenny g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2004 at 12:14pm
orrr...rubrails.com
reid i'll be in a 1999 forest green E-150 custom conversion van,gold stripes & fiberglass running boards,ky tags and a little silver propeller stuck in the recever.
just buried dad yesterday.i'll be there a little later than planed,but i'll be there.
kenny g

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aguyinajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2004 at 2:48pm
well it started last night....sounded like it ran good. Needed points+condensor. Couldnt really give it any throttle since it had year old gas and it bog'd. I think im gonna purchase it. Big move from a 67 razorback with an outboard to this.
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2004 at 1:58am
Good luck with the boat Jeepguy. Keep us posted. Rubrails.com? where have I been? Kenny, we're all sorry to learn of your loss. We'll be glad to help you move on. I hear the Bayshore Estates campground resort is rather large. We'll do a "drive by" looking for you in our '74 Vega wagon or '76 Pacer with the tow package. And if both of them break down then look for a 1998 autumn orange (I didn't make that up) Explorer or white Aviator. But we won't be in until very late Thursday/early Friday. I'm psyched.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Tribal150 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tribal150 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2004 at 1:09pm
Kenny Reid

I will keep an eye out for you, I will be there with a 1992 F150 white with Copper flames, and a matching 76 nautique.

Rob
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2004 at 5:24pm
Rob, We'll look hard, but I'm not sure we'll be able to pick you out. We should probably be adding this info to the "Who's going to Cedar Point" thread that I believe you started a week or so back. I'll jump to that one and request some contact - hookup info.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aguyinajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2004 at 3:41pm
Well she's mine now. Looks good sittin in the driveway next to the john alman. anyways i havent been able to drop it in yet. Im having some trouble with the water pump. Mostly gettin the seal and impeller. Pretty happy with my purchase so far. Pics will come soon.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic