Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

68 Mustang fuel issue

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
acusteroh1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acusteroh1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 68 Mustang fuel issue
    Posted: July-01-2019 at 4:13pm
Hi folks,

I’m attempting to fix my 68 mustang (289). I’m not getting fuel to the carb. I’ve changed the fuel pump, fuel line, and fuel filter. Still no fuel in the carb bowl, so I unhooked the fuel line at tank, stuck it in a gas can and I got fuel to the carb. So I’m thinking I have an issue at the rank. The line from the tank to the fuel pump is not clogged.   Can anyone offer me any suggestions on how to proceed?

On top of the tank, the fuel line attaches to what looks like a fuel filter but there are two wires attached to it. What is this? Sending unit? If so that is strange because there is no fuel gauge on the dash.   It was quite hot after trying to start the engine several times.

I thought about unscrewing this and by passing it to see if I could get fuel to move that way.

Any help guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Adam

I thought about unscrewing it and by passing
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2019 at 4:29pm

Appears someone prior to you added a solenoid electric fuel pump as a band aid due to something else being amiss.

they are useless in that configuration as they can only pull fuel up about 8". I suggest you remove it and tidy up the power leads carefully. Also make certain the tank and filler ground wires exist, and have continuity.

I suspect the dip tube fittings at the tank are clogged in some manner, either antisiphon valve in the hose barb, and/or cone screen in dip tube; remove and disassemble the all the fittings and inspect internally

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acusteroh1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2019 at 4:51pm
Awesome, I wondered if it was some sort of fuel pump. I’ll do as you suggest and give it a try.

Another quick one: as I said I replaced the pump with one from retail auto parts chain. I read later that I should have used a marine style one w a glass bowl?

I’m violating some federal regs?

Thoughts on that?
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2019 at 5:40pm
Ok fuel bowl is not critical, however
Your fuel pump on the engine best be marine, for the last 40 years or so visually identifiable by an additional outlet for some vinyl tubing to route the gas from a diaphragm failure safely into the carburetor behind the flame arrestor in some manner.

Your 68 may not have had that originally, but unless you always boat alone, its not worth the risk playing with the lives of those who trust you to take best care of them.

Your pressure side to the carb also has some fundamentals to follow for due diligence and responsible mechanics.
Hard line or USCG approved soft line for pressure use and suggest redundant hose clamps

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2019 at 5:53pm
Adam,
Tom above has some great advice concerning marine fuel pumps.

Here's some good reading for more information on mechanical pumps.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acusteroh1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2019 at 1:43pm
I finally got back around to looking into this issue more yesterday.

I had to siphon 10+ gallons of fuel out of the tank. Removed the tank, sloshed around the little remaining fluid and emptied it completely. Then tank itself seems fine. I removed the solenoid fuel pump. The filler tube seems fine with no clogs. I think my original issue is that solenoid fuel failed. Hence, I replaced the fuel pump unnecessarily.

Anyway, so my question is about the filler and tank ground wires. When I removed the tank, there was a negative lead attached to the tank, but not one attached to the filler cap. I'm assuming I just need to run a ground to the bottom of the filler cap?

Thanks, for your help!

-Adam
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2019 at 1:49pm
Adam,
Yes, it's a good practice to ground the metal deck fill too. Make sure the other end is grounded well to the engine block. A Ohm check would confirm this.

What fuel pump did you replace? Another electric or the mechanical as recommended?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acusteroh1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2019 at 1:59pm
Thanks so much for your help.

I replaced the fuel pump with a mechanical one. However, it's just an auto one that I bought from a chain store. I'm going to track down a marine one and figure out how to run the bypass line to my carb. I'm positive I'll be asking for help with that task as well. The old pump did not have that line..

Thank you,
Adam
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2019 at 3:14pm
Here's a link to one place where you can get a Carter M60389.

Many places to choose from

I should mention, there have been some bad versions of this pump that eat up the new diaphragm real quickly and then you get to return it for another one .   

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2019 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Here's a link to one place where you can get a Carter M60389.

Many places to choose from

I should mention, there have been some bad versions of this pump that eat up the new diaphragm real quickly and then you get to return it for another one .   

Ken,
You're slipping. Where's the link?   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2019 at 4:02pm
It's right here, I was just testing your sharpness today Pete

Myself, I'm as sharp as a bowling ball today

link

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic