Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Full throttle fall on its face

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
swoods1127 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swoods1127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Full throttle fall on its face
    Posted: August-10-2020 at 11:29am
I have a 1992 Supra 351w HO Pro Boss with the GT40’s. Low hours. It ran great a couple years the it started falling on its face coming out of the hole at WOT. First I bought a new 4150 Holley carb. New fuel lines, fuel pump. Still continued. I did the DUI conversion. New plugs and wires. Set the timing. Still fall on its face before dying or taking off. Now I’m looking at the Excelerator pump adjustment and cams... I’m running out of ideas. Does anyone have any suggestions??
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2020 at 12:13pm
Timing set where? Idle mixture and level set appropriately? Then move to transition circuit (accel pump adjustment). Doubtful you’ll need a cam change, start with the basics.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swoods1127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2020 at 12:33pm
I have the timing set at 12 degrees btdc. I thought I read that somewhere. Is that the correct timing?
After work I Will checked the float levels. I haven’t done that. I’ll start there first. Then turn my mixture screws back in and out 1-1/2 And hook the vacuum gauge up and try to readjust it. I watched a couple videos on it. Soo we’ll see. I’ll let you know.
Thank you
dgabler View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgabler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2020 at 5:50pm
When I had a similar issue the problem was because the person who rebuilt the carb (PO) did not connect the accelerator pump arm correctly.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2020 at 5:55pm
Timing and accelerator pump circuit is where I’d start.  There is a good YouTube video by Summit Racing on tuning he accelerator circuit.  Might be worth your while to check it out. 

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swoods1127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2020 at 10:18pm
I had to replace my solenoid before checking my float levels. The old one quit. I was bumping it trying to fill my bowls. After doing this a few times the starter stopped engaging. It spins but won’t engage. Any suggestions?
Also how exactly do you check the leve on the front bowl? The motor is at a hell of an angle in the boat.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2020 at 12:15am
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
illiniball2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote illiniball2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2020 at 2:50pm
Does it run ok until a certain RPM?
Beer is my friend
87 Dominique
Had 67 Starflite
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2020 at 8:39am

Here's a picture of a Holley front bowl with the float level adjusted a little lower that what Holley would call normal.

This helps compensate for the angle of the engine  

Keep in mind that the bowl is upside down in this picture

The rear float can be adjusted level so that the top of the float is parallel to the top of the bowl.

Also keep in mind that you should have no need for an angled spacer since it used to run just fine without one from the factory Wink

Like TRB said...............start with the accelerator pump adjustment and don't screw with the pump cam.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swoods1127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2020 at 8:56am
Thank you. I’ll adjust my float as close to that as I can.
It seems to run fine. It’s just from idle to wide open throttle it falls on its face. I adjusted the accelerator pumps and mixture screws and I have it really close now. I think after the float adj it’s a timing issue.
But now my starter spins and won’t engage when it’s warm. Fml

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swoods1127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2020 at 9:00am
It runs good. And starts good. It just falls an it’s face from idle to wide open throttle. I adjusted my accelerator pumps and mixture screws. I think I have it really close now. Having starter issues so I haven’t had a chance to fine tune it from there. Starter spins but won’t engage
Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic