Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Light Rust on Crank Pulley

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
mf01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mf01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Light Rust on Crank Pulley
    Posted: September-21-2020 at 4:47pm
I have some light rust on the crank pulley of my EX 343. Just curious how I should address it.

2011 SAN 210

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2020 at 9:32pm
Probably the easiest for you would be to take it off at the end of the season and get it to someone who does powder coating. They could blast it and get it coated and it might have a better chance of lasting than a new one.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2020 at 6:44am
Looks to me like it's the circulating pump pulley you have a picture of there.Wink

You'll pretty much always wear the paint off the pulley where the belt rides but you have a fair amount of extra flaked off paint letting the rest of the pulley rust. You can see the spot where the belt rides pretty easily in the picture

I'd guess you might have a pretty wet bilge at times, splashing water around back by the pulleys and serpentine belt and that your belt tension might be in need of some attention Or it was just a lousy paint job originally.

mf01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mf01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2020 at 10:25am
I purchased the boat about a month ago, so I'm not sure how much water has been in the bilge. I've used it three times and there was almost no water near the plug area. I didn't notice the missing paint until a few days ago. 

It looks like the pulley is connected to the crankshaft and there is possibility of oil loss when you install (or reinstall). I'm thinking about painting it in place this winter. I would get the rust off, brush on rustoleum primer, and brush on rustoleum black paint. I don't want to spray it in the engine compartment.
2011 SAN 210

mf01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mf01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2020 at 12:26pm
You are correct, it's the circulating pump pulley. I see it now at Skidim. 

Anyone have an idea of installation for one of these? It doesn't seem complex, but any info would be beneficial.
2011 SAN 210

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2020 at 12:37pm
Release tension on belt remove the 4 bolts holding pulley onto pump. Reverse process to install ;)
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2020 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by mf01 mf01 wrote:

You are correct, it's the circulating pump pulley. I see it now at Skidim. 

Anyone have an idea of installation for one of these? It doesn't seem complex, but any info would be beneficial.

And while you're at it, you might as well check the impeller in the raw water pump and if the belt looks worn at all, replace it too since the boat is new to you.

If you loosen the 4 bolts while the tension still on the belt, they'll be easier to loosen 

It's a good job for a small contortionist  Wink
mf01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mf01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2020 at 1:08pm
I have a new impeller. I'll install it at the same time. I ordered a backup belt yesterday. I plan to carry in the boat. I will just replace the current belt if I see any cracking.

Thanks for the tip on loosening. Any idea on torque specs?
2011 SAN 210

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2020 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by mf01 mf01 wrote:

I have a new impeller. I'll install it at the same time. I ordered a backup belt yesterday. I plan to carry in the boat. I will just replace the current belt if I see any cracking.

Thanks for the tip on loosening. Any idea on torque specs?

Here's a manual just chock full of information in the link below  Wink

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic