NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel gauge reading full

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Tbarile View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbarile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel gauge reading full
    Posted: May-21-2021 at 9:32am
I have an 02 196.  Last year the fuel gauge worked intermittently and then finally stayed at full.  You guys provided some trouble shooting and it appeared it was a bad sending unit as the gauge would fall to empty when the sending unit was unplugged.  I installed a new sending unit (pain in the ass) over the winter and the damn gauge still reads full at all times!

I put an ohm meter on my sending unit to check it just in case and it reads 80 with approx half a tank.  I put it on the wires that lead to the gauge and it reads -128.

Any advice on whats going on?

Thanks
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2021 at 12:53pm
Well, it would be easy enough to say "replace the gauge" but looking at your old posts, they're mostly about electrical problems and you have a boat with a gateway box between the engine and the gauges to further complicate things.

Did you ever get the tach/Perfect Pass electrical issue figured out?

Last time you posted on the fuel gauge it started working for a while and that nasty "intermittent" word was used. Wink

I "know nuthin" about those boxes other than they're not available anymore and kits to bypass them are expensive.

Tbarile View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbarile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2021 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Well, it would be easy enough to say "replace the gauge" but looking at your old posts, they're mostly about electrical problems and you have a boat with a gateway box between the engine and the gauges to further complicate things.

Did you ever get the tach/Perfect Pass electrical issue figured out?

Last time you posted on the fuel gauge it started working for a while and that nasty "intermittent" word was used. Wink

I "know nuthin" about those boxes other than they're not available anymore and kits to bypass them are expensive.

No, we never got loss of RPM signal figured out.  We just switched to PP Stargazer which utilizes GPS for speed so we don't have to worry when we lose RPM signal because the boat will still hold speed.

I've also been told the box behind the kick panel is NOT a gateway box.  Not sure exactly what it's called but they say it's not a gateway.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2021 at 2:11pm
We called it a" black box with wires going in and out" previously in one of your threads so I think you should see if the fuel gauge wires go through it or just what it does.

Otherwise it isn't a bank breaker to replace the gauge, just call it troubleshooting Wink

Originally posted by Tbarile Tbarile wrote:

I have a black box that all of the wires go into and come out of.
Tbarile View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbarile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2021 at 3:18pm
I just pulled the kick panel, it's just a breaker box.  Nothing on it for fuel gauge.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic