Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2001 GT40 cooling problem

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
sacramentoboater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sacramentoboater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2001 GT40 cooling problem
    Posted: June-07-2021 at 10:57am
New member here, have been following along for a while, appreciate all the great posts.

Current issue: Took my 2001 SAN with GT40 engine in for routine oil change/impeller change/spark plug swap.  I Have had boat for 5 years and has run perfectly throughout this time.  First trip out of marina after maintenance the boat overheated (didn't even make it out of 5-mile an hour zone!).  Pulled the boat, did my own impeller swap for a OEM impeller.  The "new" one that had been put in by shop was torn and a little shredded.  Even after the new impeller swap I couldn't get the boat to suck water from a bucket during an out of water start.  I do not think this is a case of clogged tubing given the boat never cooled after impeller change.  

I appreciate any thoughts on what might be going on.  Seems like this should be a simple fix (could the pump have been replaced upsized down?).  

Thanks,
Sacramento Boater
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2021 at 11:00am
Kirt,
First, welcome to CCfan.

I have a feeling that there's ether a leak that allows air in on the suction side of the RWP or the pump was installed backwards. Post a picture of the RWP. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sacramentoboater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2021 at 11:15am
Thanks for quick reply!  I think you can see from the orientation, but this is top down shot looking down what would be connected to the outflow side of the pump.  This is the way the shop reinstalled but I'm not sure how to tell if this is the "correct" orientation. 

GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2021 at 11:32am
That appears backerds to me
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2021 at 12:14pm
It’s easy to install the raw water pump backwards.  I’ve done it myself.  Now I take a sharpie marker and write on the pump housing “UP” as a visual reminder…

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2021 at 1:41pm
And here's a picture from here on CCF to back up what's been said already Wink

Yours being a normal rotation LH GT40 the cam screw faces in towards the engine

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sacramentoboater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2021 at 4:32pm
Great diagram! Flipped the pump and sucking water now! Lesson learned about knowing who to ask for help! Thanks to all.

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2021 at 4:37pm
I have done it also, the pump installs either way but if the screw faces away from the engine you draw no water.  The repair should be on the shop but you can turn it around in 15 minutes.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2021 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

The repair should be on the shop but you can turn it around in 15 minutes.

Kirt,
I certainly hope you inform that shop/so called "marina" that they installed the RWP backwards. I'd print off that illustration Ken posted and drop it off to them! LOL Any plans on taking the boat back to them? Big smile

It's an easy mistake but they should know the difference. Didn't they water test it after the "service"? 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sacramentoboater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2021 at 9:14pm
Yes, I called the shop.  Got an earnest apology and a refund for the impeller I was previously charged.  I told them if they ever have a question about a Nautique to join the CCF forum!  :-) 

Thanks again to all
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic