Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Alternator Belt 1999 Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Otto Throttle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alternator Belt 1999 Nautique
    Posted: June-20-2021 at 5:12pm
Well my shakedown cruise was cut short by a failed fan belt.  I thought it was just lose but when I took it off there was a failed section in the belt and it was deformed!   It was like a stretchy rubber band.  It was only 1 year old.  What lead me to that was a my volt meter was only showing 10 volts, so I opened the "hood" and it looked like my belt was way lose... It was, but it had failed.

1st off is this a once in a lifetime event or has it happened to a lot of you?

2ndly, The belt set on it originally when I bought it was the PMC RP066001/8, and that's what I replaced the belts with last year.  I am going to buy another set (new spare) and a single to replace the failed one.   On the Nautique parts site it says the RP066001 is for "2000-2003 ONLY,"  Can anyone confirm the FWP and Alternator Belts for a 1998 HO Carbureted Ford PCM?

I want to order them and get them quickly...Im in OH any suppler suggestions?  I will run the old one until the new arrives!  By the way the belt started smoking after it failed a little and smelled like burnt toast was coming from under the "hood" which was our first sign!

THX,

OTTO
Otto
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2021 at 5:22pm
For a quick replacement, I'd say any auto supply should be able to help. Take the old one(s) in with you. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2021 at 8:53pm
Otto

I seem to remember that you like manuals.

You must have one of the ones in the link below.  And if you don't, then then you will after the click Wink

printed in 1998 and revised in 2000. It's from the CCF reference section

You can verify that your belt numbers are correct

R066001 for the Alternator

R066008 for the water pump

or RP066001/8 for the "kit" with both.

I'd tell you to look at page C1-1 but that would take all the search fun away from you Wink

Since you don't exactly have much run time on the belt at all, I'd be checking that your alignment is good and your tension is good when you put a new one on.

A belt that's aligned and tensioned right is gonna last quite a long time
Otto Throttle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2021 at 11:39pm
I replaced my alternator last year. When I did I put a new set of belts on the horses. Ran fine all last year. They did not make any noise and looked fine while running too. I think I know tension, but what about alignment? A quick primer on both would be appreciated!

Oh by the way I was still having a fuel leak problem. I changed out the nylon one today with a metal one. It’s thinner so I think it will seat better... we will see next time out!

You are correct about manuals😜... I like shortcuts too!!!

Thank you!!!!
Otto
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2021 at 5:39am

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2021 at 6:03am
You'd better get ready Otto...............Pete may decide it's time to tell you how long the belts on his boats have lasted.

I think you'll need to use all of your fingers and toes more than once to count the years Wink

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic