Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sporadic Emergency Run, PCM ZR6 2006

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
matts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sporadic Emergency Run, PCM ZR6 2006
    Posted: July-01-2021 at 11:52am
Hi,

the engine in our SAN 220 2006 sporadically goes into emergency run (only idle). Usually after ca. 10mins of cruise and only once a day. After that it is usually fine. 
Error code with a CodeMate is 81, various causes. 
Besides that the engine runs smoothly in all situations. 

- Do I get more information with a more expensive diagnostic tool? Or is that limited by the engine?
- What would be the usual suspects to check? 

unfortunately it's really hard to find mechanics here who have some knowledge (or tools) with these engines...

Thanks very much!
Matt
matts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2021 at 10:21am
no one?
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2021 at 11:29am
Not an engine guy .. but I do have a 04 ZR6 and I can change spark plugs.  If it is truly running well at all other times, look for a sensor issue that is tripping limp mode.  

If it isn't pulling well, lopes at idle, or has sluggish acceleration - change the plugs.  These engines are sensitive to the platinum plugs.  They don't get the long use that non-marine engines get with them.  The improper burn can retard / alter engine performance and not throw any codes.  My engine has been awesome and if there is ever anything amiss, it is usually plug-related. 

Good luck.
matts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2021 at 8:11am
Thanks for the tips! 
hmm... I'm pretty happy how the engine runs otherwise, no lack of power or weird sounds/spotty acceleration. 
Thanks for the hint with the plugs, haha, one of my boat mechanics told me, I will never have issues with the plugs ;-) but he works mostly on cars
James T Brockma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James T Brockma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2021 at 8:53am
Matts,
 I just came across your thread. I don’t know what error code “81” is but I do know there are only two things that will cause your 2006 engine (whether is be the standard Excalibur 5.7 or the optional ZR6 6.0) to go into “Power Reduction Mode” (“emergency run” as you call it) where it will not run above 2000 RPM. An overheating situation or a low oil pressure situation. Assuming the engine is not actually overheating and/or does not have low oil pressure you are experiencing a very common problem. You have either a faulty water temperature SWITCH (NOT sensor) or a faulty oil pressure SWITCH (NOT sensor). There is a lot of information about this on PlanetNautique.com. You can go on PN and click on the manuals/brochures section, scroll down to 2006 and find all the information you need.
Jim '06 216

'98 SN 176
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2021 at 9:36am
Originally posted by James T Brockma James T Brockma wrote:

There is a lot of information about this on PlanetNautique.com. You can go on PN and click on the manuals/brochures section, scroll down to 2006 and find all the information you need.

Plenty of information on the limp mode here on CCfan too. You don't need to go over to PN! Big smile

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2021 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by James T Brockma James T Brockma wrote:

There is a lot of information about this on PlanetNautique.com. You can go on PN and click on the manuals/brochures section, scroll down to 2006 and find all the information you need.

Plenty of information on the limp mode here on CCfan too. You don't need to go over to PN! Big smile

You're a whole lot better off going to PN for the manuals and info like mentioned above for your 06 GM engine. Wink
matts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2021 at 1:57pm
Thanks so much! That sounds very plausible, the gauges on the dashboard do show normal readings for pressure and temperature. 

I do have a ZR6. 

And sorry for the mis-nomenclature ;-) wether native nor mechanic ;-) 

matts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2021 at 5:23am
need some more help: 
I guess I missed the model year, it's most probably a 2007. 
I had a look, could not find the pressure switch on the engine (it should not have one if I understand the manual...) (https://www.planetnautique.com/CorrectCraftManuals/2007/20076.0.pdf   pp. 18)

But contrary to the manual, there is a Water temp sender (R020002)

Is there a temp switch in the 2007? Any hints? thx!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James T Brockma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2021 at 5:00pm
2007 engines are different than 2006 and earlier. The 2007 ZR6 engine does not have a separate oil pressure sender and oil pressure switch. It has a digital oil pressure sensor/sender. Check to make sure it has good electrical contact before replacing with a new one since they are rather expensive. I am not sure but I believe you also do not have a water temperature switch. Again, check your sender for good electrical contact first.
Jim '06 216

'98 SN 176

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James T Brockma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2021 at 5:04pm
Also matts, the guys on PlanetNautique probably have had similar experience as you with 2007 engines and may be of more help.
Jim '06 216

'98 SN 176
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic