Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Odd starting issue

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Netdewt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Netdewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Odd starting issue
    Posted: July-03-2021 at 6:56pm
I’m not quite sure how to explain this. It happened once a day over the last 2 days.

Last fall I had my pitot gauges replaced with Faria GPS. I’ve also recently replaced the thing the key goes into, ignition key thing.

So what it does is I push the ignition switch, then turn the key as usual. It turns over fine but doesn’t start, and the starter continues to turn and turn and turn, even though I am not holding the key on. I pull the key totally out and turn off the ignition switch, and it kept turning over. It stopped when I put the key back in and turned to on position.

Clearly there is some kind of short. Where should I even start though?

1989 SN 351W
1989 Ski Nautique 2001, 880 hours
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2021 at 8:38pm
Does this happen every time or just sometimes, couldn't decide from the description if it got started 10 times a day for example and acted up once or you started it once and had the problem.

If it's every time I'm gonna guess that you have the wrong wires on the wrong terminals on the new keyswitch

If you look at the back you should have 3 terminals unless you bought one with an accessory position, then there will be 4 terminals.

If you look at the TRB diagram below which works very well for your 89, you see a Red wire that should go to the BATT terminal, a Purple wire attached to the I or Ignition terminal and a Yellow/Red wire attached to the S or Start solenoid terminal.

I'd make sure you can read the terminal markings and that the right wires are on the right terminals.

Alternately, I think maybe it's the "Revenge of the Airguides" Wink

Netdewt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Netdewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2021 at 9:09pm
I’ve been starting it probably 20-30 times a day as we are out and getting kids going. So it’s not every time at all.

Yeah I would have loved to keep the air guides. They are haunting me.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2021 at 12:58am
Well in that case, I'd replace the starter solenoid/relay on the back of the engine and make sure it's grounded good through the mounting bolts.

It sounds like the big internal contacts are getting bad and stick and one time will weld themselves together.

It's probably working with the ghost of the Airguides Wink
Netdewt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Netdewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2021 at 10:30am
Thank you, that gives me a “starting” point.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic