Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New 1999 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Kacyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kacyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New 1999 Ski Nautique Open Bow
    Posted: July-25-2021 at 4:55pm

Hi All,

I’m a new member. 22 years ago, I sold my 96 Super Sport Nautique to buy my wife’s wedding ring. Trust me, best investment I ever made! Well, here we are now all these years later and my brother-in-law has an Axis and my son and his cousins wakeboard and surf behind it. Every time I try to ski behind it, I hurt myself! Probably cuz I’m not a great skier at 61, but largely because wake boats suck for slalom water skiing!

So, I just bought a 1999 Ski Nautique Open Bow. It’s got very high hours , like 2000, but the boat is so well maintained, I’m not concerned. The engine, GT-40, Fuel Injected, seems to run well. One I get possession, I will take it to a boat guy to give the once over. So here’s one of two questions. Should I get it to a Nautique dealer service department? Or are service folks at local marina, Blue Ridge, GA, sufficient?

Question number two. How comprehensive should this “once over” be? In other words, what are the most frequent break downs for boats of this ilk? I wanna be proactive in addressing all the potential issues. My fear is breaking down first time out and then fielding my favorite wife’s questions as I’m paddling back to dock! 😎

Kacy Kelhofer
Kacyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kacyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2021 at 4:58pm
Whoops! Hit send to quick!

I appreciate y’all!
Kacy Kelhofer
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2021 at 5:48pm
If it was my boat, I would do the following:

Change oil / filter (use high ZDDP oil)
Change transmission fluid
Change sparkplugs & wires
Change distributor cap/rotor
Change filter in FCC

GO SKI

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2021 at 6:27pm
JQ is right on.

Your money is better spent buying the tools you will need to take care of it.

Most stuff is easy but just takes time.

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Kacyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kacyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2021 at 2:39pm
Thank You Jon Quest and SNobsessed! I appreciate y’all’s advice.! Exactly what I’m lookin for!
Kacy Kelhofer
MurphyCO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MurphyCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2022 at 12:36pm
I have the same boat, on Lake Hiwassee just over the state line from Blue Ridge in NC. The only thing I might add is to change the water pump impeller. 

When I bought our boat 6 years ago, after dragging it across the mountains it refused to start, even though it ran well when we tried it out on Lake Lanier and purchased it. I read quite a bit on these forums and discovered the issue was the high pressure fuel pump. Replaced that, and the engine started right up. 

Since then, I've replaced the low pressure fuel pump and upgraded the alternator. Oil change every summer at launch, change the battery every three years. Oh, and new skins and carpet purchased, installed by a local guy. 

Boat runs great, starts right up. 

Read the forums and do the work yourself, in my opinion. Lots of fantastic mechanics on here who are a great help. 

Gary
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2022 at 12:53pm
Welcome back to the Correct Craft family,  you do know that your boat does not exist till you post pictures of it for us!   Good advice already given to help you enjoy your new boat.    I would add the trailer wheel bearings and trailer brakes should be checked, new seals and grease.   Just to make sure your new boat is ready for your travels.
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2022 at 5:40pm
No Pics......Didn't happen! 

'93 Ski Nautique NWZ, Air Boom Tower
Drink Tonight..for tomorrow We Ride!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2022 at 8:37pm
I guess this is another one of those mysterious old thread resurrections.

Kacy hasn't been logged on in over a year now

Showed up, asked a couple questions..............disappeared  Wink
MurphyCO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MurphyCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2022 at 6:47pm
My bad, didn’t look at the year. Oh well, his loss I say.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic