Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

THERMOSTAT

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Otto Throttle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: THERMOSTAT
    Posted: August-25-2021 at 5:45pm
1999 280 HP S/N.  Temp would not rise above 140 (water temp 78) but ran well.  What is proper thermostat temp, and is the same as a car thermostat?  if not why?  I would like to change it as I am sure it is original!

Thanks!

Otto
Otto
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2021 at 6:32pm
140 for carburetor engines,160 for fuel injected engines and 170 for all fresh water cooled engines. The reason I have heard was PCM or whoever marinized the engine did not know where their engines would finally end up. High water temperatures in saltwater do strange things to cast iron. It also does strange things to anything cast iron but supposedly worse at higher temps. For reference my Holman Moody never goes above 120 and that's after it's shut down
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2021 at 6:50pm
Otto,
Is the 140 from the dash gauge? If so, have you confirmed the temp with an IR thermometer to make sure you don't have a gauge problem? BTW, 140 isn't bad.

EDIT: I just read your other post about needing a temp gauge. Tell us more. How are you getting the 140?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2021 at 8:27pm
Click on the link for a trip down memory lane Otto

Like Pete asked, Why are you looking for a temperature gauge in another new post today?

Do you suspect a problem with the one you have now?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2021 at 10:21am
Thanks everyone... I notice the difference on everything on the boat.
I have never seen the temperature operating this low before, so I begin to investigate! I’m sure it is the original so I was going to start there.

In writing this though, it was bit choppy so we maxed out around 2500 rpm... could that low of rpm usage be reflected in the low water temp?

Yes off the gage...I don’t have an IR gun to shoot the engine...btw where do you take it “temperature?”

I like to have a spare of most things. I have a spare set of the decals, belts, impeller, most of the gages, fuel line...stuff that may be hard to find in another 5 years. I want everything to rebuild her if necessary and keep it original (my middle name).
I need those two to have a set that will see me well into the Correctcraft dealer in the sky! I hope there are boats in heaven!

What model/number 140 degree thermostat do I need and where is the best place to get one...or me a couple!

Thanks!

Otto

Otto
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2021 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by Otto Throttle Otto Throttle wrote:

I want everything to rebuild her if necessary and keep it original (my middle name).

Take the temperature right where the temperature sender screws into the intake manifold by the thermostat

Here's a link to the thermostat at Ski Dim, you could probably shop around and maybe get it cheaper

PS You must be Pete's long lost, brother from a different mother Wink
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2021 at 1:23pm
I am all for having good spare parts but in your case the thermostat is working perfectly and 140 is the correct marine temp for a carbureted boat.  I don’t see what the issue is?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2021 at 2:49pm
Nope....I agree... I’m just used to seeing it running warmer that’s all! Just want to buy a spare so I have one if I need one! Do you buy a land thermostat or is there a specific water thermostat I should buy?

Otto
Otto
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2021 at 3:04pm

Nope....I agree... I’m just used to seeing it running warmer that’s all! Just want to buy a spare so I have one if I need one! Do you buy a land thermostat or is there a specific water thermostat I should buy?

Otto

Go back 2 posts and you'll find a link to a 143 thermostat on SkiDim.

Since cars run antifreeze and pressurized systems, you're not exactly gonna find a 143 at an auto parts place. ( unless you go to NAPA for example and get one from their NAPA/Sierra catalog)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2021 at 11:41pm
Thanks!! I notice the 160 degree Thermostat. Being as I want to understand, why 143 vs 160, or vice versa?

Yup learning!

Otto
Otto
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2021 at 8:19am
Otto

You can read all kinds of stuff about 143 degree thermostats for Raw Water Cooled engines and 160 for Fresh Water Cooled (closed system with anti freeze) engines 

You can also read the Ski Dim link from earlier and they say a 160 is OK for Raw Water Cooled engines.

It can make your head spin  

There is a solution for you though.

Buy one of each and see which one you like better in your engine. Wink  

It's the only way to settle it in your mind without always wondering "what if".

Then keep the other as a spare

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2021 at 12:06pm
What are the benefits of running “hot” or “cooler?” There has to be a design reason!
Otto
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2021 at 1:57pm
Engines run a little better warmer, automotive applications have settled on temps between 187 and 195* for the most part.  Boats are run cooler, main reason has always been that the engine block and components rust less if run cooler.  That has been the accepted norm for at least 40 years.   Fuel Injected boat engines started to be available in the 90's and they worked better at 160* than 140*.  Since these are common today in boats and I have not heard of any rust issues with those blocks I would think you are free to choose 140 or 160 but the manufacturer stayed with 140 on all carbureted engines and I think they have more knowledge than we do.  There must be a reason.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2021 at 4:57pm
Pre 60's, many marine engines didn't even have T stats!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2021 at 5:56pm

Otto

Most of the posts I've read here (and elsewhere) regarding thermostat and high temperature seem to forget......the thermostat controls minimum engine running temperature, not maximum. The temp at which the thermostat opens is much less important than if it does/doesn't open at all. If it opens as designed and operating temperatures exceed that a bit, that may be ok ......up to a point.  
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2021 at 9:22pm
My old 1994 started life as a TBI engine. 160 degree T-stat. When I converted to carb and conventional distributor, I kept the 160 T-stat. Engine ran very well at 160. I had no reason to go 143 even though it was now a carb engine.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2021 at 9:46am
I.R guns are cheap these days. Harbour Frieght or eBay. $15
Your wise to start collecting two of everything
Grandpa Ripper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grandpa Ripper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2021 at 2:05pm
My understanding is that a marine t-stat is stainless to tolerate raw water versus being immersed in antifreeze which has corrosion resistance as part of it's component makeup.  They are slightly more money and that seems to be the reason.  If you are running a fresh water cooled setup, your block will have antifreeze in it and you can go with an automotive t-stat.
"If you are thinking like everyone else is thinking, you are not thinking."
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2021 at 4:06pm
Here are a couple of pictures.

First one is a 160 marine thermostat next to a 160 automotive one.

They're both made of brass and both of them have lettering and an arrow telling which way is toward the radiator

Bet you can't tell the difference.

Second one is a marine thermostat that just can't make up it's mind. It's a combination of stainless steel and brass with the same toward radiator notation. Wink

Both marine thermostats came in PCM packaging from SkiDim over the years.

The automotive one came from Advance Auto

So, there's no real consistency as far as answers about what they're made of or what the differences are 

There are also different styles to fit the same application like say a 351PCM and some people swear that one style works for them and the other is a piece of junk while others swear that the other works for them and the other is a piece of junk.

Here's the other style that some swear by and others swear at, comes in auto and marine also.

gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2021 at 10:24pm
This is my go to for my GT-40s   Stant Superstat 45356 

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2021 at 7:37am
"Stant SuperStat thermostats offer reduced oil consumption"

Now there's some high-end marketing!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2021 at 7:33pm
By the way if you go to Petes favorite local auto parts store and they ask what vehicle you’re working on 🤬 tell them an ‘85 Bronco with a 351 they ran 160* stats.👍
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic