NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1992 1.23:1 Transmission Seal Leak

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
apolonie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apolonie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1992 1.23:1 Transmission Seal Leak
    Posted: September-03-2021 at 10:58am
Hey guys, hope everyone is excited for a good labor day weekend.

Boat: 1992 SNOB 351 w/ PCM 1.23:1 Transmission (260 hours)

Noticed that my boat has been running low on transmission fluid, last weekend when I pulled the boat out of the water and took the bilge plug out, I noticed that the water was "rainbow". I felt terrible having this leak, and immediately bought some bilge oil pads so that won't happen ever again. Also, when I purchased the boat from private owner two months ago that's when I first noticed that tranny oil was low, I guess he must have pulled a sneaky one on me lol. I flushed out the old oil they used and put in Dexron III ATF fluid.

Anyways, brought the boat to my mechanic where he gave it a quick look and said the seal between the engine and the transmission is what he thinks is leaking. Can't say how bad it is leaking though, but regardless I'm bringing the boat to him on Tuesday to take a look at the transmission and reseal it. He quoted me $800-1000 for parts and labor. Just wanted to see with you guys does this seam like an average cost for this fix?

Also wanted to get your guys opinion on running the boat this weekend. I was really excited to take the boat out for my first holiday weekend, and figured if I kept oil, funnel, and bilge pads with me and a keen eye I can do it safely and environmentally friendly until I can get the boat to him on Tuesday? Haven't noticed performance issues when pulling skiers out or anything like that. 
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2021 at 11:49am
Originally posted by apolonie apolonie wrote:

Also wanted to get your guys opinion on running the boat this weekend. I was really excited to take the boat out for my first holiday weekend, and figured if I kept oil, funnel, and bilge pads with me and a keen eye I can do it safely and environmentally friendly until I can get the boat to him on Tuesday? Haven't noticed performance issues when pulling skiers out or anything like that. 

I'd do what you said above for the rest of your season, in case you were to run into problems that make the job get more involved.

The seal is cheap, the labor is expensive.

You should at least think about changing the damper plate while the transmission is off, since it's heading toward it's 30th birthday.
Who knows if your hour meter is right

It's one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't deals. Just call it preventive maintenance.

It takes a PCM damper plate which is more expensive than the aftermarket replacements for a Borg Warner transmission.

There's that price of the job going up already Wink
apolonie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apolonie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2021 at 11:53am
Lol, thank you for the info Keno. I will most likely take your advice and change the dampener plate, might be a silly question but what does that do anyways? Is there a way to see if it's still working properly before I fix? Finishing up my master's and will remain poor until May, but I'll scrap the money from somewhere if it's needed.

Also anything else I should ask the mechanic to look for while the tranny is out?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2021 at 12:40pm
Don't want to be Debbie Downer here but check out my thread from July. I didn't bother to change my damper plate mainly because of all the additional brackets and stuff in the way on a GT40 engine and the fact I was under time restraints. I was able to get what I needed in a day from Skidim- they were very helpful during all this     www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=50048&title=oily-mess
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2021 at 1:41pm
Hey, I just said to think about it. Wink

Somebody usually jumps in and says you have to do it.

It's just the most conservative approach.

No real way to tell when a good one is gonna fail 

If you hear strange grumbling, grinding noises under the bellhousing that's not a good damper and it's on the way out and it generally happens loudly and make a lot of noise and you're getting towed back.
apolonie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apolonie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2021 at 3:52pm
Hey guys it’s possible that I didn’t completely flush out all the old 20w oil from the tranny. Would that be a cause of leak when I started using ATF? If I flush it out again could that possibly stop the leak?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2021 at 11:02pm
No. Did you get a chance to look at my thread? The gasket was hard and just didn't seal anymore. Changed the input seal and pump orings while I was in there as well. You will know more when you get it out. I had no oil in the bellhousing or the front of the trans- perfectly dry. But the seam where that gasket is was all oily,there was no oil left in the trans at all. One day it was fine the next all out. I wonder if yours isn't as bad and could put 20w back in it to save the weekend-being thicker might not come out as fast? Might not be the gasket but a seal which would be an easier fix. What ever you do be careful and don't let it slip, that will cost you. 
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
apolonie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apolonie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2021 at 1:58pm
Hey guys just a quick update, mechanic took the tranny out and confirmed it was the rear engine seal that went bad. Just got hard, probably from years of not being used, and was corroded a little bit. Transmission is still good though. I'm taking the advice of replacing the damper plate as well! I'll update with the price of it all if anybody is curious how much it'll be.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2021 at 3:50pm
I hope the oil that leaked into the bilge was brownish black and there wasn't any red stuff leaking since you were assuming it was transmission fluid and he's telling you it's engine oil.

But your mechanic put his eyes on it, so I guess you trust what he's telling you Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic