NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I Wanted a Few More Days...

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2021 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by DVskier DVskier wrote:

I like having choices. Really have to be smart about it, buy skis at the end of the season, new but last years model. I didn’t buy them all at once. Up until last year I worked 2 days a week at resorts in Ut and CO for 8 years. Easy to get deals when you’re a resort employee with an on the snow job.

I’ve got a pair of 200cm Vokyl GS skis in the attic that I haven’t seen in 12 years. I do ski Rossignol  S3’s most days but the RTM 84’s are my front side skis. Have a pair of Atomic Access 100mm underfoot for the super powder days. When I go out west for 3 months I like to be prepared for anything.

Somewhere in my brothers attic my old (1985 vintage) 203 CM Rossingnol FP's with Marker M45 bindings sit and wait for the next trip down the mountain.........
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2021 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by frozenskier frozenskier wrote:

I always thought KT-22 at Squaw was the "Motherhsip" ?

Squaw is cement compared to Utah powder not even on the same scale.Big smile
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2021 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

Baldy Chutes on a powder day is absolute Nirvana.  

JQ

I also love the cirque traverse to the Wilber chutes and upper Mach Schnell. 
The Gad trees are the go to when the bowls get tracked out. 👍👍

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2021 at 3:56am
The Plunge at Telluride is my all time favorite run but I have not been there in 35 years now.  Still want to go back but I hear the entire vibe at Telluride has gone upscale, catering to the uber rich.  It used to be a skiers paradise and affordable.   Colorado gets the very best light powder on a regular basis.  The California Sierra's only see that type light powder on the very rare day, I have worked ski patrol for 20+ years and have only had true very light powder a few times out here.   Montana snow is pretty great also but they don't seem to get the deep frequent powder Colorado can provide.   Utah, is in between CA and Colorado for light powder, much better than CA.   Gun Barrel at Heavenly offers one heck of a long bump run but does not get good coverage very often.  I found out our best two lifts at Sierra At Tahoe were both damaged by the fire in September.  One needs a replacement cable, this is our longest and best lift, the cable has to be special made in Switzerland and might not be here till late February.   Our second best lift will be closed all year.  So many trees burned the area is not safe.  I guess some trees burn inside the core, then they are still standing but are an extreme danger for snapping and falling.   Snow came this past weekend, over 3 foot so all the inspections and tree removal are on hold till next summer.   Dang.
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2021 at 11:18am
My favorite is the rope tow at Buttternut Basin.  Learned to ski there in the 60's.  Wood skis, cable bindings and leather boots.Smile
92 SN - Owned since 93
99 Pro Air
89 SN - Went to live on a lake in Texas
75 Donzi 16 - Sold in 93
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2021 at 12:26pm
Sierra at Tahoe is a special place. I found it on a 50 mph wind hold day while visiting Heavenly in 2001, the lefties told us to try it as the wind doesn’t affect it most times. When we arrived about 10:30 it was snowing giant flakes, very light powder. We had a blast as most of the skiers and boarders were seeking asylum in the day lodge. What a fantastic day of skiing, lines weren’t bad either. Left around 3, still a raging blizzard so getting back to Stateline NV took awhile. Highly recommend Sierra at Tahoe as a good choice. Note, I only went there once.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2021 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

Montana snow is pretty great also but they don't seem to get the deep frequent powder Colorado can provide.   Utah, is in between CA and Colorado for light powder, much better than CA.  

The first part of this is true, Montana does get “SOME” dry powder but not a lot annually, same with Colorado. Neither of these places make the top 10 list for powder.

Most resorts in Colorado only average around 300” a year equal to Killington Vt. in the east. Wolf creek gets the most snow in Colorado at 465” yearly average.

All 4 resorts in the cottonwood canyons get better than 500” annually as does Grand Targhee with Jacksonhole at 450” all of which is light dry powder on average.

If someone was looking to ski deep light powder in the US, the Cottonwoods of Utah is #1 with Wyoming being a close second. JMHO Big smile

Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2021 at 9:07pm
** STOP IT **

Do NOT come to Utah.  Too damn crowded.  Stay away. Save yourselves.  Snow and water skiing is terrible.  Colorado welcomes you.  

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2021 at 9:16pm
^^^^Oh yea what he said stay away, stay away.    Go to Colorado where the happy weed is legal.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2021 at 5:33pm
We went to Summit County in beginning of February about 4 years ago and the skiing was ok, but not great.  I hadn't been to CO since the 80's.  People that live there said they were in a 15 year snow drought.  We skied Vail 2 days and the back bowls were frozen crud. Didn't ski much of them.  It was like a poor day back here.  

Utah has always been great, even when we used to go early December.  But, like they say, don't go there, the beer is watered down and tastes terrible.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2021 at 7:47pm
[QUOTE=Riley]Utah has always been great  But, like they say, don't go there, the beer is watered down and tastes terrible.[Quote]

Yes don’t go there nasty beer, but you can bring your own bottle of rum into the bar/restaurant. Wink
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2021 at 10:42am
I was in Utah a few weeks ago, playing volleyball at the Huntsman Senior Games.  It was in St. George, I really enjoyed the area and the landscape is like nothing I'd been around before.  Years ago my wife and I spent time in Moab, mostly biking, and that was a blast though terrain seemed different from where I just visited.  Currently I'm not an alpine skier so no powder comments.

Like Riley, I enjoy the New England change of seasons and don't have a desire to move elsewhere.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2021 at 10:43am
And we had some really good beer at a microbrew around the corner from us in St. George.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2021 at 1:00pm
My buddies and I are thinking of booking a Snow Ski trip for this winter.  Since our Mountain will be closed we are looking at options.   Telluride was high on my list but I know it won’t be the same since my last visit.  I will have to look into some of your suggestions.
I will say, I skied in Colorado a couple years ago, I worked a job and we finished a day early so I humped it up to Breckinridge for the day, 12” powder in the morning.   I hooked up with some locals and went out to hit it hard.   I was just coming off a season working ski patrol, this was late March, thought I was in great ski shape.  The Colorado crowd took me to school.   I kept up for only 2 runs and started wearing out.   The 12,000 foot elevation kicked my butt and the speed which they were all skiing was much faster than I prefer to go.   I take my hat off to them.   They are very serious skiers.    We took the lift all the way to the top and then they wanted to hike up a 1/4 mile higher to grab some uncut powder and hundreds of these hardy souls were making that hike.   I will blame half my weakness on the altitude and give the other half up to those guys for just being tougher better skiers.   I put in 12-20 days a year skiing, these guys were saying they were at 60 or more ski days that year.   I was jealous.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2021 at 3:19pm
Well...this thread took off in a direction I did not anticipate.  No worries though as I love snow skiing.

Standing invitation to CCF members:  If you plan on skiing in Utah, feel free to look me up for a day or 2 on the slopes.  I promise y'all won't have to wait for me...

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2021 at 2:12am
JQ, don't raise your hand too high I may just dial you up.   We have a group of 4 to 6 guys thinking of a trip, undecided where so far but my niece just bought a cabin east of Denver so that area is getting a look for sure.

KT-22 at Squaw which can no longer be called Squaw due to political pressure, I believe the new name is the "Palisades"  I always found the lift lines on KT-22 were very short because of the difficulty involved so we would ski that lift all day long rather than fight the crowds.   It is California and it is Squaw Valley, a very open resort so windy days are terrible, light powder is rare, heavy powder is plentiful, but it is a very challenging chair and fun.
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2021 at 7:52am
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Originally posted by DVskier DVskier wrote:

Looks like a good start to the alpine ski year. I’m heading out in January for a couple months. 3 pairs of skis and a Subaru Outback loaded.

what the heck do you need 3pair of skis for?

1. downhill

2. deep powder

3. xc or telemark

Tongue
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2021 at 11:03am
ultra runner, Also rocks.
nobrainsd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nobrainsd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2021 at 2:45pm
My favorite time of year on CCF! It is either the whole winterize my boat debate or everyone looking for something to do when it's cold. Makes me smile. Winter is for visiting, not living in :)
86 degree air/68 degree water
Apply sunscreen liberally. 
San Vicente Reservoir, San Diego, CA, Wakeboard Wednesday Sponsored by M20 Marine. 
Not a single boat except for us on the ski course too.  

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2021 at 3:23pm
That looks like fun!  Also I'm guessing a faceplant is a second away at all times.
nobrainsd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nobrainsd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2021 at 3:51pm
Ha! The wake foil is actually pretty mellow since we ride at 10 to 11 mph. A lot less punishment than the sit down hydrofoil where we ride at 24 mph and hit the low 30's on a hard cut. Hard to believe I can wake foil the no wake on my Ski Nautique. It is definitely more fun behind my friends big ass wake boats :)  Hope everyone having a good time out there!
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2021 at 4:29pm
That picture looks like a nightmare to me! Big smile

On the wake foil, why do you need a wake at all?  Won't it rise and "foil" even in flat water?  Or does the wake just make it possible to do tricks?

nobrainsd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nobrainsd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2021 at 6:14pm
The wake foil will most definitely rise and foil without a wake, but you can't toss the handle and free ride. Notice in the photo I have a slack line. It is kind of tricky behind the Ski Nautique to drop the rope altogether ( I could use a bigger wing). My friends include an Armstrong distributer so I get to ride a lot of different equipment. With a bigger wake I can slalom a bit with my Liquid Force 1250 cm wing. But the Armstrong 1600 cm wing is really a lot better behind my small boat. The bigger wake behind my friends Malibu makes it easy to ride, behind my boat with the smaller wing I need to really keep the wing close to the surface to maneuver. The foils keep developing and it is great to be able to try different set ups and wings! Most foiling fools are pretty good about letting others try their equipment :) 

The sit down hydrofoil is really fun. We don't drop the rope at all, but we can go as big as we want regardless of the wake. Being strapped in keeps us from getting the knee and ankle injuries that are prevalent with wake boarding. Who needs a big ballasted boat when I can jump and flip no problem even behind my low wake boat. The photo is of my buddy Nate throwing a gainer out in the flat wide from the boat with no wake to assist. Air Chair, Sky Ski, Next, RP3 and Extreme products can give you quite the ride :) Was a midlife crisis purchase for me 9 years ago. Too much fun.

The best part of the Ski Nautique is that I have two ski babes who slalom year round behind it. They wouldn't go if I got a big wake boat. Having them rally early midweek regularly is a treat and they laugh at my crashes. 
nobrainsd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nobrainsd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2021 at 6:27pm
I've posted this before, but it shows how easy it is to go big with relatively no wake behind my boat. Never enough toys :)

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2021 at 6:36pm
Impressive!

Right now if you did that up here by the time you landed it would be on ice. Smile  24 degrees when I got up this morning.
nobrainsd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nobrainsd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2021 at 6:48pm
Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!  The reservoir here does get pretty cold (no ice). We shift to Mission Bay and it is usually around 63-65 all winter. Maybe 59 with a cold snap. Have to love the pacific ocean! I have installed a closed cooling system so we all ride behind my boat in salt water. The big boat guys won't launch in salt water at all. The Ski Nautique is popular during our "winter". Wish everyone on CCF the best. Without the advise I have received on CCF my boat wouldn't be hitting it at 27 years old. Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic