Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Restoring luster to your boat's hull

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
uncle-buck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Restoring luster to your boat's hull
    Posted: November-13-2021 at 8:59am
My wife gave me a Poli Glow kit for Christmas last year. Finally got around to using it last week. The products are designed to restore the luster to your boat's hull. They work amazingly well, and with a moderate level of effort. My boat's hull had heavy oxidation, so I used 1000 and 1500 grit wet sanding sponges before using the Poli Prep and Poli Glow. All work was done by hand, no electric sanders or buffers.

Before:

After:

The Poli Glow kit, about $80 on Amazon:

ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2021 at 9:29am
Holy crapola, that's impressive results by hand!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2021 at 10:00am
If you’re not gonna do it the right way and are looking for a quick and easy turd polish, mayonnaise works too- and is way cheaper.
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2021 at 10:02am
I am curious if the oxidation has only been masked, and if the polish will hold up...
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2021 at 10:52am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

If you’re not gonna do it the right way and are looking for a quick and easy turd polish, mayonnaise works too- and is way cheaper.

Gee Ward aren’t you being a little hard on the Beav.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2021 at 10:59am
Ha!

Thanks for sticking up for me...

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2021 at 11:58am
Tim is right, 😢 though the delivery was a little harsh because most here are passionate about doing things the right way. 
There is a bunch of info out there about that stuff and most is negative. But if your happy with it that’s all that matters in the end it is your boat👍

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2021 at 12:08pm
He may or may not be correct. There are 660 product ratings/reviews on the Poli Glow kit on Amazon's website and 87% are positive.

I suspect that most of the negative experiences users have had are due to failure to follow instructions and/or improper application, but I could be mistaken.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2021 at 6:43am

I'm wonderin' what kind of Mayo a person would use to polish a turd? I guess I'm also wonderin' what kind of person would use Mayo to polish a turd? Wink

Hellman's real Mayonnaise, Hellman's light, some of that "it's not really a mayonnaise" Miracle Whip, one of the zillion other brands or maybe you whip up your own home brewed concoction that works real good ?

Do you apply it by hand or use a buffer?

So many questions Wink

Buck Here are some CCF threads from the past about Poli Glow.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2021 at 8:12am
Hellman’s classic, of course… applied by hand (with a hoagie roll).
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2021 at 8:38am
What 's a hoagie roll, a western Connecticut term for a grinder roll or a sub sandwich roll or something?

This could lead to a big long list of what those things are called in different parts of the country.

Us "not quite normal"  people in New England probably have at least a half dozen different terms for that hunk of bread.Wink

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2021 at 9:17am

😂😂👍
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2021 at 9:27am

Ask him how he knows....
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2021 at 9:45am
92 SN - Owned since 93
99 Pro Air
89 SN - Went to live on a lake in Texas
75 Donzi 16 - Sold in 93
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2021 at 9:48am
Kidding aside, let us know how it looks a year from now.  Reviews after just applying it don't mean much.
92 SN - Owned since 93
99 Pro Air
89 SN - Went to live on a lake in Texas
75 Donzi 16 - Sold in 93
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2021 at 10:46am
The results that Buck achieved look very good in the before-and-after photos.  This will be a good opportunity to see what things look like in a year or 2.  Hopefully Buck will keep us informed on how the Poli Glow is holding up over time.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2021 at 11:04am
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

The results that Buck achieved look very good in the before-and-after photos.  This will be a good opportunity to see what things look like in a year or 2.  Hopefully Buck will keep us informed on how the Poli Glow is holding up over time.

JQ
The colors really came back after the oxidation was removed by wet sanding.
The Poli Glow made it shine. Since I used only about 15% of the product, I will reapply if it dulls. 
If it peels, I will strip and reapply.

Off to the river now for a final ski of the season. Thanks again for your help with the D.U.I.

Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2021 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by uncle-buck uncle-buck wrote:

JQ
Off to the river now for a final ski of the season. Thanks again for your help with the D.U.I.

Trinity River up near Riverside?  That is a great place for flat water and few boats (other than the fish-heads and duck hunter types).

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2021 at 5:56pm

Trinity River up near Riverside?  That is a great place for flat water and few boats (other than the fish-heads and duck hunter types).

JQ

Lower San Jacinto River, below the Lake Houston dam. It's only 40 minutes from our home and there's a nice little beer joint and restaurant there. Will check out the Trinity River, as you suggested, next season.
Faceplant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2021 at 6:59pm
Really curious how the shine holds up. Please keep us informed. I may end up being a Poly Glow convert in the future.
Feels like I am hanging 10 but in reality - probably hanging 6.
wayoutthere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2021 at 9:36pm
I heard of poli glow a long time ago but never used it. You wet sanded with thou and fifteen100 to clean up and then apply, is it a liquid wax ?  Does the poli prep rag get real dirty with oxidised gel ? Is it for gel only or can it be used on paint ?
The shine looks a mile deep. 

Key take away i got from the post was; 

"My wife gave me a Poli Glow kit for Christmas last year". ( i wanted a new teak swim platform)

"Finally got around to using it last week". (Boat looks so great it deserves a new teak swim platform don't you think honey ?)

As luck would have it Christmas is right around the corner so you know what to get her !

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2021 at 12:05am
Yes, the Poli Glow is similar to a liquid wax, but it is applied like a varnish, on a damp mitt, with straight, even strokes. 4 to 6 coats with a couple of minutes for drying between each coat. 

I don't know if it would work on paint. You'd probably want to contact the manufacturer and ask.

The Poli Prep is applied in diluted solution with water and a scrub pad that comes with the kit. Spray it on. Scrub and hose it off.

Wasn't thinking about a new swim platform, but thanks for the suggestion...
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2021 at 9:05am

Bwahahaha, damn Tim, pop just flew out my nose on this one...... 

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2021 at 5:45pm
that poli glow crap is just a "temporary" fix I am afraid. It's like putting lemon pledge on a dull black piano, sure it'll be shiny for a week or so, but then will be dull again

Like the others have said..do it right the first time. That involves wet sanding with 800, 1000, 1200 grits, then compound, buff, polish and final wax coat.  It's the only way to restore a gel coat properly.  these wipe on, wipe off things are just snake oil in disguise. 

'93 Ski Nautique NWZ, Air Boom Tower
Drink Tonight..for tomorrow We Ride!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2022 at 3:30pm
All right Buck..............it's been close to a year and i was spreading some Hellman's real mayo on a hoagie roll along with a bunch of other "good stuff" and I thought about this thread.

So how does it look 11 months later?

Does it live in a garage most of the time or outdoors in the sun?

What's better Hellman's or Miracle Whip? Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2022 at 3:40pm
Ha!
It still looks pretty good. The boat is kept outdoors in our driveway which is a semi-shaded area.
And I prefer Grey Poupon on my sammiches...Ermm
1990 Ski Nautique (original owner)
PCM 351W with D.U.I.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2022 at 7:35am
Originally posted by uncle-buck uncle-buck wrote:

Ha!
It still looks pretty good. The boat is kept outdoors in our driveway which is a semi-shaded area.
And I prefer Grey Poupon on my sammiches...Ermm

I guess the loose translation here would be.................it's faded some but still looks better than it did before the application Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic