NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

92' SNOB Stereo Wiring Diagram Help?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
apolonie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apolonie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 92' SNOB Stereo Wiring Diagram Help?
    Posted: March-27-2022 at 3:01pm
Hey guys,

So I got all my new stereo stuff: 4 replacement boat speakers for the cockpit, new replacement single-din stereo, and 2 tower speakers that will be powered by low-draw mini amp. I just got finished extracting that old Kenwood stereo. I realized that I have absolutely no idea what wires I'm looking at. I expected to find just the 8 speaker wires (4 + and 4 -), power, and ground, but there's a whole bunch of other wires. I'll be posting some pictures in a little bit but just wanted to start the thread and ask:

Has anyone ever done a full stereo replacement on this gen before? Any lessons learned I should be aware of?

Are there any stereo wiring diagrams? All I've seen on other threads are dash diagrams but nothing about the stereo wiring.

As always thanks for any help and I'll be posting pictures shortly.
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2022 at 3:55pm
Do not think you will find a wiring diagram for the stereo on that 92.  Stereos were often dealer installed or owner installed. And often replaced over the years. 
Take a look at what you pulled out.  Can you match up to what wires are still in the dash.  
Not sure how you took them out.  Clipped, Unplugged.  
And possibly identify power, ground and speaker wires.  Then label them.  
apolonie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apolonie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2022 at 4:31pm
Ah okay that sounds right about the lack of diagrams then. The speaker wires all have labels on them which is nice, it's just a few other wires I'm unsure of. I attached some pictures here (if it lets me). 

That black wire looks like a ground to me. And the color coded plastic things are obviously the speaker wires. The red wire is attached to a black box that holds a 7.5 A fuse, and the yellow one I'm just not sure of.

Also I believe the stereo isn't controlled by any of the dash accessory switches since it can be turned on while those switches are off. I'm guessing the red wire is power since it has the fuse on it, and the yellow one I'll try to figure out where that one goes lol.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2022 at 5:43pm
The Yellow one is constant power to the radio. It's always supplying 12 volts to the radio even when the radio is off and the key is in your pocket (as long as your battery is hooked up). It's a very small constant current draw when the radio is off.

It maintains all the settings like time, preselected stations etc when the radio is turned off.

The Red one is 12 volt power to the On-Off button/switch usually powered from a keyed source but not always.

Black is ground

They're standard stereo wiring colors  Wink

Google is your friend, look up auto or boat stereo wiring
apolonie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apolonie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2022 at 11:56am
Hey Keno thanks for your response, I think I'm all set on the wiring now. Only thing of concern that I couldn't find any resources online is yellow and red wire fuses (3.5A and 7.5A respectively). The stereo has a 10A fuse, do you think that those fuses on the wires should be increased, and if so do I have to worry about what the circuit can handle?

Just curious, I won't have time to work on it again until the weekend. I'll probably go with the trial and error approach and see if the fuses will blow but if anybody has any opinions they're most welcome Tongue
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2022 at 5:51pm
I can barely spel stairio, and don't do much with them, but if you're saying that the new one comes with those size fuses in it's wiring, I wouldn't change them to any higher amperage fuses for any reason

Or are those the old wires and fuses?
apolonie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apolonie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2022 at 9:14pm
Yep old wires and fuses. I guess I'll have to connect it and crank it up to see if those fuses still hold.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2022 at 7:16am
I thought they looked kinda "not new" in the picture.

What does the new radio have for fuses or what do the instructions say?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic