Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ENGINE STOPS WHEN PUT IN TO NEUTRAL QUICKLY

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
robbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ENGINE STOPS WHEN PUT IN TO NEUTRAL QUICKLY
    Posted: April-03-2022 at 5:41am
Hi All
Hope you can help
We have a year 2000 super air nautique with the 8.2 litre python engine.
It runs OK but if you back the throttle off quickly in to neutral the engine will stop. It you back off slowly it will keep running.
Has anybody come across this type of problem before of have a suggestion to fix it.
I suspect that this might happen on any engine.
My thought is electrical but not sure where to start on this.
All suggestions appreciated

As I'm writing I guess the smart answer from some will be just to back off slowly but when you are going to pick up a boarder or skier in the water the last thing you want is for the boat to be unpredictable and to stop and therefore be out of control.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2022 at 8:09am
I would start with looking for dirty injectors and go from there - if your putting hours on it you might be able to see improvement by running some fuel injector cleaner through it.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2022 at 1:59pm
I repaired a 2002 last year, cleaned the injectors and everything worked like brand new but my injector issue was caused by bad fuel, not the same as your issue.  Sometimes a dirty throttle plate and entrance to the throttle body can plug the air bleeds and cause idle issues.  Many times you clean the throttle plate and entrance to the throttle body with carb clean and a rag and things start working well again.  A white or light colored rag will show what you are removing with the carb clean and wipe, sometimes you get a lot of black gunk out of there.
robbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2022 at 3:39am
Hi JoeinNY and Mr McD
Thank you both for your excellent suggestions - can't get to the boat until next weekend but will get some carb cleaner and bits during the week.
Will post an update after cleaning.
Kind regards
ps - I wonder whether fuel from metal petrol cans could be part of the problem.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2022 at 8:34pm
Old fuel does not work well.  Anything over 6 mos old is Old Fuel in todays market unless recent upgrades have taken place to our fuel supply.  Even lawn mower shops have signs up telling folks not to use any fuel older than 6 mos in the lawn mowers.

I think I would run gas up to 9 mos old but no older by choice.   You can add fuel and dilute the mix but it does not fix the bad fuel.  The Python I worked on had 4+ year old gasoline in it and it had turned to a gel.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2022 at 10:33pm
The problem is you need a bigger engine. Smile J/K!

What are your idle rpm?  Does it stumble when you put it in gear, or in gear at idle when you give it some throttle?  Or only happens when quickly throttling back into neutral?

Good advice from Joe and Mark, start there.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
robbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2022 at 5:26pm
Hi 63 Skier,
Idle rpm is 650 - I think this is governed by the ecm and there is an air valve on the throttle body to compensate for any difference.
Yes, it only happens when quickly throttling back into neutral.
Regards
ps Hope this means I need an extra 2 cylinders!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic