Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Probably another swim platform refinish thread

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
RealDeez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RealDeez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Probably another swim platform refinish thread
    Posted: April-13-2022 at 2:52pm
Previous owner of our 93 sport appears to have attempted to put polyurethane on the swim platform... which I will now have to attempt to finish removing.  Nature got a pretty good start on the removal though.  I guess I don't blame him because if I hadn't started reading threads about it here I might have attempted to put poly on it...

I have coarse and medium sandpaper and assorted wire brushes ready.  Teak oil on standby.  We'll see how it goes. 

Lake James, IN
93 Sport Nautique
RealDeez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RealDeez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2022 at 3:45pm
I know it's not recommended to sand but I took a pass on a small area with the wire brush and I couldn't tell if it was coming off and exposing clean wood or if it was melting the poly down and grinding it into the pores... I guess I could try stripping it but I was trying to avoid chemicals because of ventilation and cleanup issues.

Lake James, IN
93 Sport Nautique
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2022 at 5:11pm
I use sandpaper.  Never heard that you shouldn't.  Sometimes I use it to rub in the teak oil.  I think I got that idea from an old platform refinish thread.  It works well.
92 SN - Owned since 93
99 Pro Air
89 SN - Went to live on a lake in Texas
75 Donzi 16 - Sold in 93
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2022 at 5:12pm
Have you tried a power washer?

92 SN - Owned since 93
99 Pro Air
75 Donzi 16 - Sold in 93
RealDeez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RealDeez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2022 at 5:33pm
Do you think it would strip the poly off?

Because I would need to buy one to test that theory.
Lake James, IN
93 Sport Nautique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2022 at 7:27pm
It would take it off but it might damage the wood.
92 SN - Owned since 93
99 Pro Air
75 Donzi 16 - Sold in 93
RealDeez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RealDeez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2022 at 7:53pm
Could turn into an expensive experiment at that rate...
Lake James, IN
93 Sport Nautique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2022 at 8:33pm
I use a pressure washer on mine every time I refinish it but just to clean it.  If you had one you could try a spot underneath and see if it worked but I don't think I would buy one just for that.  Although, it might be a good excuse to buy one anyway.
92 SN - Owned since 93
99 Pro Air
75 Donzi 16 - Sold in 93
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2022 at 7:22am
Apply some citrus stripper and let it do its thing.  Hit it with a wire brush (with the grain and repeat)
As you get to the point you are satisfied with the appearance ditch the wire brush for a stiff bristle nylon brush 
Rinse well and often to keep the crud off the clean wood as you are working

I would then apply a teak cleaner / conditioner and move to the teak oil (TSP from the Home Depot or Lowes also works)

Everybody has a method and many will share - this has worked well for me in the past 

Good Luck
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2022 at 12:31pm
I have a 4” belt sander with about a 12” footprint while sanding.  I have used it with a medium grit a few times over the years on my old boats and once on my 95 Nautique when I want to get my rear deck back to looking new.  You have to move constantly.  If you hold still for any time it will dig an area that takes forever to sand out.   It would burn up one or two belts taking off your poly.  I don’t fine sand when I finish, I like the deck to be non slip.   The belt sander can remove a lot of material pretty quick so again, be careful, keep it moving and this is not a technique to use every year as it takes off a lot of material.  This is used to bring one back from the dead.
RealDeez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RealDeez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2022 at 7:50pm
Wire wheel on the drill and a 1/4 sheet sander with some 60/100 grit later....

Wheel took off the poly shell, sander cleaned up.

Did they put poly underneath?  Yes, yes they did.

Lake James, IN
93 Sport Nautique
RealDeez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RealDeez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2022 at 7:54pm
So, I'm not going to show the bottom again because my zeal for making that look good waned quickly...

But I took the Starbrite and wire brushes to the platform and here is the result...

That's while it's still wet. 

There is still some poly in the cracks that I can't decide if I want to risk the tendonitis to remove.  I figure once I oil it and run it around for the season the poly will sort of... remove itself but I could be wrong.

Lake James, IN
93 Sport Nautique
RealDeez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RealDeez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2022 at 7:58pm
Here it is dry-ish.

So I'm trying to decide if I really need to go after the remaining dark-ish spots with the Starbrite again or if it's good enough to oil up as-is.

Thoughts?

Lake James, IN
93 Sport Nautique
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2022 at 10:22pm
Good to go in my opinion.  I like the Star Brite Teak Oil.  May bueno. 

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Mpost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2022 at 9:27am
When I did my 84 SN platform years ago, I completely dismantled the platform. All the screws out and pieces separated and sanded it that way. I even ran it thru a surface planer to get the multiple layers of Poly/? coatings off without taking too much wood. 
Turned out very nice and coated with couple of coats of teak oil before reassembly. That platform had wider gaps between boards than yours. Was a lot of work but a good winter project.
Yours looks very nice right now and will really be nice with multiple coats of oil. Too many coats and it will be dangerous slippery, made that mistake a couple of years ago on the 98 SN Geek
84 SN Sold   98 SN    Lund Pro V   1975 Alumacraft
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2022 at 5:01pm
It is looking great, your work is paying off.
Mark
wayoutthere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2022 at 7:29pm
The dark spots  add character, that's a beautiful piece of wood.
Great job on that.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2022 at 7:42pm
RealDeez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RealDeez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2022 at 1:31am
Well, I went and put on some oil... Still pretty wet.  I'll see how it looks in the morning but I think it'll be fine the way it is.

Lake James, IN
93 Sport Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic