Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wet Foam in floor

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
malones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wet Foam in floor
    Posted: May-06-2022 at 4:06pm
Last fall I purchased a 1986 2001 ski Nautique. Its the same boat I skied on when I was in hight school. Anyhow I took it out twice before season was finished. When skiing behind the boat it seems to be leaning to the starboard side. So this spring I decided to fix some things cosmetics. ie the Carpet was a mess so I ripped it up. took seat out etc * see attached image. then decided to drill a small hole in the floor along side a starboard stringer. I put a stick into the foam. The foam was completely soaked. The Stringer seems solid but wet, Wondering if I should rip up the fiberglass on either side of the engine and just replace the Foam, just the foam not the Stringers..... then re-seal with new fiberglass. So looking for some thoughts? I have never fiberglassed before but seen youtube tutorials 

Also looked around the boat for dings and found one underneath *see attached . What would be the best way for me to patch this. It looks like a dent in the fiberglass. 

Nevertheless my wife if super psyched i purchased this boat... NOT!!!LOLThumbs Up

Any advice would be greatly appreciated - Malones

Malones
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2022 at 6:13pm
Not what you want to hear, but I’d likely take out the floor, yank ALL the foam, let dry, then do a proper inspection of the stringers to determine their fate.

Ultra
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2022 at 7:49am
Any advice would probably depend on what you want to do this summer

A)  use the boat and have fun with it

B) have a boat in the yard all torn apart so you can work on it in 80 to 90 degree temperatures under the watchful approving eye of your wife Wink

The more you look, the more water and rot issues you'll probably find

You'll get opinions on different ways of checking to see if your main  stringers are OK or whether your boat is gonna self destruct while you're driving it.

Assuming it ran good last fall when you bought it, I'd probably use it this summer and when the season is over, dive deeper into it to see how much stringer rot you have

It's a given that your stringers have some amount of deterioration/rot based on the age of the boat and you'll have to make that judgement call about what to do.

You can read about hitting the stringers with a hammer to get an idea of their condition or drilling some exploratory holes in the stringers and seeing what the wood looks like, then resealing the holes.

There are plenty of boats running around with wet foam because the owner hasn't looked.

If nothing else, this post should generate a little interest in your thread Wink

PS..........is that gel coat damage on the keel from the boat being beached? Or is ir something else
malones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2022 at 9:45am
thanks Keno and Ultrarunner, great advice, 

yeah maybe I buy a cheap carpet, put the seats back in have fun this summer... them dive deeper into this in the fall.

As for the gel coat damage, I assume its from the runners on the trailer at one point? I don't know. I want to seal it up with something just not sure what product to use. 
Malones
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2022 at 10:20am
Stringers are definitely a winter job if you have the garage. I’d run it!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2022 at 11:39am
Originally posted by malones malones wrote:

thanks Keno and Ultrarunner, great advice, 

yeah maybe I buy a cheap carpet for the summer put the seats back in have fun this summer... them dive deeper into this in the fall.

As for the gel coat damage, I assume its from the runners on the trailer at one point? I don't know. I want to seal it up with something just not sure what product to use. 

Here's a link to a recent thread about some superficial gel coat damage like yours. Only gel coat damage and plenty of structural fiberglass behind it. Plenty of discussion about what to do and a variety of opinions

I wouldn't get too exotic with the fix, you may do the same type damage putting the boat on the trailer Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic