Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2014 SN Squel

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
lakeside7455 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakeside7455 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2014 SN Squel
    Posted: May-10-2022 at 8:41am
I have a 2014 SN and just this year it has a squeal sound that last about 20 min until the boat seems to warm up. Never had it before. The belt has the auto tensioner on it, so thought belt could be slipping, but not with this tensioner. I did have the exhaust manifold replaced as part of warrant as it was leaking. But didn't think that would affect the engine an cause any squeal sound. I added a new impeller this year, So that kind of eliminates a bad impeller. It starts right up runs fine, no overheating issue, just a engine squeal. Could it possibly be the pump or some other accessory drive part going bad? Any trouble shooting help would be appreciated as I don't think it is major, just annoying until identified and corrected.
MN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakeside7455 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2022 at 10:50am
I identified a leak from pump area. I know the impeller has little o rings that fall off when installing. That might cause a leak. But should make the squeal. I think it’s the pump. I will take apart today for better observation.
MN
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2022 at 11:53am
Could be the impeller is old and hard but I think you may have an air leak on the intake side between the pump and the boat water inlet at the bottom of the boat.  If there is an air leak you suck air rather than water.   Loose clamps or a cracked hose can do that for you.  Check all connections and if you have a water filter on the inlet it has a gasket and a couple clamps that can be the cause.
Impellers are not long life, I install a new impeller after 2 seasons of use.   I had a couple fail trying to get a 3rd season out of one.  Life will vary depending on the environment, in Calif we have many very hot days and the heat seems to ruin the impeller.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2022 at 1:15pm
Since you have a serpentine belt with an automatic tensioner have you checked that the tensioner pulley rotates smoothly and doesn't feel like the bearing is falling apart or turning too hard either?

They like to make funny noises and eventually self destruct.

I'd spin everything else by hand too when the belt is off to check for bad bearings
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2022 at 3:47pm
My 2004 made similar sounds upon startup.  The serpentine belt had been in the same spot for a long time and I simply loosened the tensioner and moved the belt about 6" either way and the mild squeal went away.  I assummed it was the belt getting old and hard but that was ten years ago and still using it.  I do make sure in the spring to change the position on the pulleys even tho I de-tension in the winter.  
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakeside7455 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2022 at 7:15am
I am now pretty sure it is the raw water pump bearing housing. I ordered a new one from discount inboard marine and will replace it. I noticed the bolts on the pulley were solid stuck and always had to fit a wrench with extension to install and remove the impeller housing. I sprayed some nut buster on the 3 hex nuts and used a pipe on an allen wrench and that broke it free. I will now completely remove the pulley when installing the impeller. Its this bearing housing that will be replaced, so should be super easy now that these 3 hex bolts are removeable. Wil lknow for sure in few days once new bearing assy is on.
MN
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2022 at 8:23am
So it sounds like you found a bad bearing in the Raw Water Pump.

Even though you got a new one, I wouldn't throw the old housing away since you could replace or have replaced the bearings in that housing, probably for a lot less than you paid for the new assembly. (but their price isn't too bad)

Silly question, but if PCM has 3 holes in the pulley to make it easy to get to the 3 bolts  that have to be removed to get the housing off, why do you want to take the pulley off instead.?

Their instructions have you working through the holes  Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakeside7455 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2022 at 8:11am
Keno, They do have 3 holes to allow to get to the 3 bolts to remove the impeller. The issue is I have to use a socket extension. They then want you to put the bolt thru the pulley hole to get it in position. The problem is, they have a small o ring they want you to install on the back side of the bearing housing. So it is a delicate to keep the o ring on while wriggling the bolt in place and getting the thread to catch. The o ring tends to fall off. If I take the pulley off, then can use both hand and not use a extension and it would be 10x easier to install. And all it requires is to remove 3 bolts off the pulley, well worth it and eliminating all the fishing and dropping parts. I've drop the screw and lock nut fell off, etc, and sometimes even gets lost below under the engine and super small. Then have to buy new ones. No brainer for me. I'll always remove the pulley to install the impeller for now on.
MN
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2022 at 9:45am
I'm familiar with that pump, and changing the impeller etc.

I'll  just have to say "whatever works for you" Wink
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2022 at 1:23pm
I have never needed to remove the pulley, sounds like extra work for little gain?   A little dish soap to lubricate the new impeller makes them spin right in without a fight.  Dish soap does not damage the rubber impeller.  Grease can cause rot in the rubber impeller.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2022 at 8:31pm
I think Lakeside knows how to change an impeller and his way works better for him.  Wink

It's a whole lot easier to take the pulley off his pump than on your gt40 Sherwood pump  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakeside7455 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2022 at 7:52am
I added the new raw water bearing housing and it came with the missing 3 little o rings, I re-used the new larger o ring for the housing I got with the impeller. This solved both the bearing squeal issue and leak issue. The bearing just must have gone bad. It was only a 2014, so only 8 years old and about 700 hours. Never had an issue on my previous 1996 SN I owned for 20 years. But engine is humming again, very happy. I now can easily remove the pulley when installing the impeller so it will be much easier to align and install from now on as a bonus.
MN
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2022 at 6:32pm
Glad to know you have it fixed up.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic