Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ski repair?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
uncle-buck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ski repair?
    Posted: September-04-2022 at 8:35am
We have an old pair of EP combo skis. The aluminum top on one of them partially separated a couple of weeks ago and we want to repair it. Been reading about different types of glues and epoxies online.

Do any of you have experience with this type of repair?
Which adhesive works best?

Thanks for recommendations.

1990 Ski Nautique (original owner)
PCM 351W with D.U.I.
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2022 at 11:34am
I use the old tried and true JB Weld.  I have used a couple of others over the years claiming to be for plastic etc..  but they don't hold like JB.
92 SN - Owned since 93
99 Pro Air
89 SN - Went to live on a lake in Texas
75 Donzi 16 - Sold in 93
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2022 at 12:07pm
The original JB Weld holds better than the newer 15 minute set up JB weld.
nobrainsd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nobrainsd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2022 at 12:08pm
I would recommend G/Flex epoxy from West Marine. It bonds to almost anything. I use it to repair foil boards. Most are epoxy based, but often have UHMWPE or PE topsheets and various materials for the inserts in the deck.  To ensure a good bond I would lightly scuff the AL top sheet with sand paper. If there is old epoxy or adhesive be sure to remove anything that is at all flaky. I used a torch to lightly flame the plastic top sheet on a ski I fixed recently. You won't need to do that with AL. Much better if you can vacuum bag the ski, but if you can't work that out a whole bunch of clamps and some cross pieces will work. Too much epoxy or adhesive isn't good. Not much structural strength in epoxy or adhesive alone so figure out how to clamp it and squeeze out the excess. G/Flex cures hard but retains some flexibility that straight epoxy does not. Not cheap, but I use it a lot. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2022 at 4:45pm
I ended up using JB Weld Marine.
We'll see how well it works.
Thanks for the suggestions.

PCM 351W with D.U.I.
rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2022 at 1:28pm
I think you were right to try jb weld.  I used some other adhesive on my old EP GX3 Turboglass and the first time in the waster doing a deep water the top came back off. 

Hotty Toddy lets go skiing!
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2022 at 1:46pm
I used The Right Stuff a rubberized silicone on my wife's EP about 10 years ago.  It is still intact but.......  she has not been able to ski since.  Back and Neck injury.  No idea if the repair worked but it still looks good.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2022 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by uncle-buck uncle-buck wrote:

I ended up using JB Weld Marine.
We'll see how well it works.
Thanks for the suggestions.

And...............make sure you take them there clamps off, it'll be a pretty ugly handling ski if ya' don't Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2022 at 3:10pm
Approve
PCM 351W with D.U.I.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic