Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel bowl inlet screen

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
uncle-buck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel bowl inlet screen
    Posted: September-04-2022 at 6:55pm
Installed a flexible fuel line from the fuel pump to the carb today.

The old fuel bowl inlet fitting has a very fine screen, presumably to catch any particles that get past the fuel filter/water separator. The new (blue) fitting does not.

For those of you with a similar setup, what are you using for a screen at the fuel bowl inlet? Thanks

1990 Ski Nautique (original owner)
PCM 351W with D.U.I.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2022 at 7:19pm
Holley sells this filter for center hung fuel bowls.
Will it work with the marine carbs?

PCM 351W with D.U.I.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2022 at 6:26am
It looks like a SkiDim flexible fuel line based on the fittings in picture #1 so why not call and ask them?

Or call Holley and ask them

On the center hung bowls those filters also need a spring to go with them.

The inlet fitting threads are 7/8-20 on your Ford style marine carburetor and on the center hung bowls they're the same so there's a definite "maybe" as to whether it fits the inlet housing too.

If I was real curious I'd spend the money in the EBAY link below and then I'd know for sure

I have to go and decide how curious I am now Wink

PS    Most people probably use no filter/screen in that spot with that line

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2022 at 7:08am
Thanks, Ken.

Amazon sells the items listed in the eBay link you posted, so I'm going to order and find out if they fit. If they don't, I will call Skidim and ask what they recommend. Will let you know.

I figure the original inlet fitting has a screen on it for a reason...
PCM 351W with D.U.I.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2022 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

I have to go and decide how curious I am now Wink

I was curious enough to spend 18 bucks on Ebay Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2022 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

I was curious enough to spend 18 bucks on Ebay Wink

I spent $21 on Amazon. You made the better deal.
PCM 351W with D.U.I.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2022 at 6:59pm
OK, the Holley brass fuel inlet filters arrived today (thank you, Amazon) and are a perfect fit.

Installed one so that the open end of the filter element faces the incoming fuel line. The spring went into in the bowl first, then the brass filter, then the smaller gasket inside the inlet fitting, and then inlet fitting with the larger gasket sealing the inlet fitting to the bowl.

Ran the engine on the hose. Will water test it in two weeks and am confident it will be perfect. 
I feel better with a little extra protection for my vintage Holley carb.

PCM 351W with D.U.I.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2022 at 8:12pm
Alright Buck

How did you order the filter on a holiday and get it delivered the same day?

By the way, I found an exploded view of the side hung bowl with the filter installed just as you described It's an automotive bowl with a funky vent setup but the same inlet housing as the Ford marine 4160

Sometimes the best solution is to find out for yourself, good job  Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2022 at 8:43pm
Nice diagram. Thanks for posting.

I actually ordered last night and Amazon Prime delivered today. One benefit of living in the big city...
PCM 351W with D.U.I.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2022 at 11:39am
BTW, what's up with the Holley marine carb fuel bowls?
Looks like the primary bowls for the 4160 marine carbs are not currently available.
Supply chain issues or something else?
PCM 351W with D.U.I.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2022 at 2:05pm
Looks like you're lookin' in all the wrong places Buck Wink  

Are you really wanting to buy one or just window shopping?

Where did your fuel line come from? SkiDim..............try them (PCM RN0052 with the complimentary PCM markup) or Ebay 34R 10918AQ

Found it at some other places too

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2022 at 3:07pm
Window shopping unless they aren't making them anymore. Mine is 27 years old and probably only a matter of time before it springs a leak.
PCM 351W with D.U.I.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2022 at 8:17pm
Well Buck

My $17.00 pack of 2 filters from US carburetor showed up today and I put one in a Ford marine 4160 like yours.

Like yours did it fit like it was made to go in there and it worked just fine out on the water too  

I think it's safe for both of us to say they fit and workWink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2022 at 10:34pm
Great! Hopefully, they will help keep the carbs working perfectly and extend rebuild intervals.
PCM 351W with D.U.I.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2022 at 3:56pm
Well, after 27 years, the primary bowl on my Holley carb sprang a leak. But it was caused by user error. I over-tightened the inlet fitting and apparently stripped the threads in the bowl !

PCM 351W with D.U.I.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic