Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What size for battery cables?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
uncle-buck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What size for battery cables?
    Posted: September-18-2022 at 10:18am
What gauge of cable do you guys recommend when replacing battery cables?
Thanks

1990 Ski Nautique (original owner)
PCM 351W with D.U.I.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2022 at 4:02pm
I'd ask myself what's been in the boat for the last 32 years or so.  probably 2 gauge

Then I'd ask how they've done all those years........probably just fine, never melted a cable due to too much current for too long a time.

Then I'd ask if I'm one of those overkill type guys who likes to spend money unnecessarily on some bigger cables you don't really need but it'll make you feel good. Only you know the answer to that Wink
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2022 at 4:54pm
I just bought some new 2 awg for an 88 Ski Nautique.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2022 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

I just bought some new 2 awg for an 88 Ski Nautique.

Thx. What size were the old ones?
PCM 351W with D.U.I.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2022 at 5:34am
88 SN had 2 gauge cables

Here's a link to a thread that's both old and new, that'll probably give you some info

If you're gonna go big, go real BIG and use some old shore power cables from an aircraft carrier or oil tanker, just to outdo everybody and cover any possible situation Wink
NeilMcG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeilMcG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2022 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

88 SN had 2 gauge cables

Here's a link to a thread that's both old and new, that'll probably give you some info

If you're gonna go big, go real BIG and use some old shore power cables from an aircraft carrier or oil tanker, just to outdo everybody and cover any possible situation Wink

You always have to take the path of least resistance Ken LOL
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2022 at 11:14pm
I’ll let you all know if the undersized 2 gauge wires kill me
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2022 at 7:25pm
You have to be careful buying copper wire now.  So much of it is CCA, copper clad aluminum.  CCA is only 67% efficient of 100% copper.  OFC, oxygen free copper used to be 100%, but now I've found CCA that is coated with OFC.  So you have to read the fine print.
Tim D

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2022 at 8:50pm
Good to know. Thanks
PCM 351W with D.U.I.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic