Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Finally Started

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
pjsmoreno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjsmoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Finally Started
    Posted: October-07-2022 at 9:30am
Back in late August I was out on the water enjoying the morning when I finally realize its time to do the final piece of restoring my Nautique. The aquamarine stripe was looking more of a blueish green from sunlight reflecting off the water. I have already done the transom this past spring removing the oxidation. So, on Labor Day weekend, I started removing the decals from both side except the “Ski Nautique 2001” decal.  I started backwards as to what grade of sand paper to start with and it ended up being the 400. The 400 grit was done with an orbital sander. Then hand sanded again with 400 and work my way back up to 1000 at this time until I will be able to remove the Nautique decal. Once I remove both of those decals I was continue hand sanding up to 1500 and then switch over to buffing the sides out. But this is where I am at today. Decals on both sides have been traced and sent out. Waiting to hear back from the graphic shop for final approval and decals. There have been 270 + pictures taken of both side decals with some having measurements to place the decals back on.  I’m excited to get this behind me but I still have a lot of work ahead. Plus, all the other “honey do” list I have at home. And most of you know whose projects comes first?  So even though the season ended sooner here for me, I definitely got a jump on this before spring comes back around. The objective is to have this done by Christmas

pjsmoreno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjsmoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2022 at 10:39am

Received the new Ski Nautique decal last week so I started removing the old ones and sanded those areas, along with the both entire sides up to 1500. So, moving onto buffing this week.

Bringing the gelcoat back to life is a very patient process to say the least. Being at the age that I am at, I will say I do have more patience to do this labor of love than when I was younger. It is a slow process and depending how detailed you want to be, it can be time consuming. I’m being time consuming with this girl. 

I spent almost 3 hours getting 2/3 of the port side last night with 3M Super Duty Rubbing Compound. The first hour I will say very frustrating for me but after calling a friend who’s in the car body repair business, He talk me through the process of buffing. Think small.  So here are some pictures before and after the first pass. 

Faceplant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2022 at 7:16pm
Looking good !!
Feels like I am hanging 10 but in reality - probably hanging 6.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2022 at 9:18pm
That will be a very pretty boat.  Nice work.

pjsmoreno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjsmoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2022 at 11:32am

I worked on my boat yesterday for a straight 6 hours on the starboard side. I realize now that the starboard side was exposed to more sunlight than the port side. Oxidation was more extensive.  I didn’t expect 5 more hours of sanding (in steps) of the aquamarine strip of where the Ski Nautique lettering was at. In doing so when I got to 1000, I resanded the entire side again up to 1500. Was getting a little concerned about how much sanding I was doing but it looks like the original color now and I was able to start buffing. Didn’t get far in one hour but I started at least.  Arms and hands were done by that time. Starting to look identical as the port side. 

pjsmoreno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjsmoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2023 at 10:18am

Life never goes the way we plan it when it comes to projects needing done.  But that is life when you are married, have kids and you have many hobbies such as I do.

After spending the entire month of October and November building a deck for my daughter and husband's home, squeezing some time to go bird hunting, then the unexpected wood splitter given to me from my father-in-law that needed repairs done, I am finally finished sanding, compounding and buffing out the boat last week. Probably have 98 percent of scratches removed.  Have a total of 24-25 hours of hand sanding time and about 16 hours of running the buffer. Had to go back and sand the starboard side again to get it to match the port side. Oxidation was much deeper on the starboard side so it needed more work to be done. Basically 3-4 more hours of hand sanding.

Need to move the boat outside on a sunny day to see what I have missed. But I am confident that I will be satisfied when it’s in the sun.  All the while working with getting the decal correct from the graphic studio. That took longer than I expected but I’m very happy how they turned out.  So basically, the boat is ready for the decals to go on. Need a warm day to do this outside for the pinstriping. My garage does not have enough space on one side to walk around on. 

pjsmoreno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjsmoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2023 at 7:32am
Been a long process this past season break but she is completed. Very happy on how it looks. She'll look nicer once I get her on the water.

Tomrupp View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomrupp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2023 at 8:45am
Nice work. It looks fantastic! Great color.
Tom
94 Ski Nautique Open Bow 351 with Carb
95 Double Decker Aqua Patio with 50hp Honda (3 carbs).
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2023 at 10:04am
Beautiful boat. Nice work. 
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2023 at 10:36am
Paul that looks amazing!  You must have Popeye arms after all that buffing. Smile

Once she's on the water post a few more pics, would love to see it.

'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
AZ86SKI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ86SKI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2023 at 1:41pm
Excellent work. It looks great! Well done. 
Faceplant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2023 at 7:45pm
Looking good !!
Feels like I am hanging 10 but in reality - probably hanging 6.
pjsmoreno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjsmoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2023 at 8:54am

Thanks for the comment’s! I finished her up a month ago. Picture does not do her justice so I’ll post some better ones soon.  Have a day coming up to pull her out of the garage to put 3 coats of wax to finish the project. Been busy with other projects around the house but this week I’m been busy cleaning the inside of the boat and spring engine maintenance to have ready to drop in. Needing to paint the mounted areas for the boat guide poles go on the trailer before they are installed.  

pjsmoreno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjsmoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2023 at 2:30pm
Since i was preparing for surgery that was happening in  August, June and July came and went before I got a chance to post a pic of my boat on the water.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2023 at 6:09pm
Life will do that to you. Boat looks great, sounds like the surgery went fine. Now you'll be ready to hit it in the spring!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2023 at 7:34pm
That boat looks brand new!  Nice work.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic