NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Don Thompson's 1986 2001 SN

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Don Thompson's 1986 2001 SN
    Posted: December-11-2022 at 10:23am
Hey All,
So to get you up to speed, two years ago, I started this thread:

Somehow my pics got canceled because apparently the photo hosting site I was using thought I was a vax denying insurrectionist, but the bottom line is Don and Connie and I went to Missouri to get Don's car and his 1986 SN. The story on the boat via Don, is that while skiing and being part of the Cypress Gardens Ski Factory, and also being a US Navy Reservist (and at some point along this time frame, transferring to the Army National Guard to continue flying helicopters) he was aware of an "off season" program Correct Craft had. Apparently, if you ordered a boat in CC's off season during the winter, you could get substantial savings. Don was also acquainted with the Meloons so he just says he got this boat for a really good deal in 1986.

Don was (and still is) a real world traveler, over the last 10 years or so, and his boat was parked at a buddy's house while Don downsized and traveled. When he left it, it was covered, and Don thought all was well. Time catches up to unattended boats. Don was trying to clean up his affairs, and he really wanted to get that boat sold and preserved. The plan was to haul it to Florida, fix the transmission, buff it up and sell it. Since it was freezing and snowy when we went to get it, I took his word that all we needed was a transmission, and we checked the bearings and took off for Florida. I did not like the look of the collapsed cover and the moldy smell, but at that point there was nothing to do but haul it back.

Of course when we finally (see link above) got the boat to Fl and in the garage, we found the outer stringer encasing fiberglass split, the upholstery cracked and damaged and of course found rotten stringers. Amazingly, the engine stringers were fine. 

At this point, I asked Don what he wanted to do, and I suggested he sell it as a project and take a loss, but he had a real attachment to it, so he wanted to fix it up and get it to someone who would use it. Of course, that meant............sigh.......I would be taking on a long term project!

I decided to not get too crazy on accomplishing the task. The transmission was already out, so I found a rebuilt one, and mothballed it until I could get to the stringers. We started the motor on a hose and it ran great so we are keeping our fingers crossed on that one. 

I decided to use The Rot Doctor method to fix the stringers. 

I know that is not the approved method on this site, but where the rot was, and how strong the hulls were made, it was the job I could do. I just was not going to strip and remake the stringers. Anyhoo. I cut the tops of the stringers off with a master tool, dug out the rotten wood and found the damage to be medium. There is nothing good about rot, but I was able to get to all of it. I then let that dry for months and continued to dig. After about 6 months of drying (mostly out of sheer laziness) I mixed up the CPES and drenched the bad areas using everything available. I used syringes for the hard to reach areas. I was really impressed with that product! 

I then used fiberglass cloth to build up the sides of the stringers that had cracked, so that I could pour the "System 3 slurry" epoxy mixed with fiberglass cloth fine shavings into the mostly empty stringers and have it adhere to the CPES treated wood. it was a bit tricky, but it was a slow set up so with a little mess and overflow, I was able to drop the tops I had cut off into the resin, then do a little top cover, and I know you guys will laugh at the results, but I am about to move onto putting the boat back together. 

I pulled out the rotten carpet, scraped the floor and threw down some Total Boat non skid paint and threw Rustoleum paint chips in it and hit the repairs with Total Boat bilge paint. Carpet or Hydro Turf can still go over it, but it is a usable non skid surface for now. 

So as it turns out, both my boys ended up in Oklahoma City in the Air Force at Tinker AFB. They have been gone for a couple years for all their training, They are now past all the training, and ready to settle into normal fun life, and they were looking for a boat. Don was really glad to sell them the boat (for a really good deal) and they are on their way home to Florida for a Christmas break, and they are going to spend some time throwing the transmission in this week, and firing it up and hopefully giving Don a few ski runs behind his boat before we make yet another classic boat hauling adventure out to Oklahoma. What could go wrong?
1980 Ski Nautique Boat Bar
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Open Bow
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Closed Bow
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
2004 Seadoo GTX SC + Flydive Xboard
1999 Adventurecraft
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2022 at 6:56pm
I figure there are a whole lotta boats out there that got some kind of temporary or "not exactly up to somebody's standards" repair that are running good and not falling apart with happy smiling owners, they just don't mention it here.

Kinda hard to follow the description of what was or wasn't checked or replaced, but if you're confident that's what counts.

Just remember, when it's time for sea trails, you have to be in the boat to experience firsthand the results of your work  Wink
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2022 at 9:24pm
And there are plenty of ‘rotten’ ones still cruising around too. It’s better than it was. Thanks for the update
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2022 at 10:53pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

I figure there are a whole lotta boats out there that got some kind of temporary or "not exactly up to somebody's standards" repair that are running good and not falling apart with happy smiling owners, they just don't mention it here.

Kinda hard to follow the description of what was or wasn't checked or replaced, but if you're confident that's what counts.

Just remember, when it's time for sea trails, you have to be in the boat to experience firsthand the results of your work  Wink

Yeah, It's hard to follow the Rot Doctor philosophy, but essentially, you cut the top of the stringer off in a square strip, leaving the fiberglass sides of the stringers, dig out the wet nasty wood, let that dry for a long time, then pour in CPES which turns the rotten wood remaining into "petrified wood"Wink  , then you mix up some fiber impregnated epoxy into the empty stringers and the epoxy bonds with the CPES treated wood as well as the fiberglass stringer sides to supposedly give the stringers back their strength. People actually use this stuff in outboard transoms and have pretty good luck with it, so I figured it would be fine for a couple feet of the side stringers where the foam starts. We are going to run it hard this week and see what happens!
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2022 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

And there are plenty of ‘rotten’ ones still cruising around too. It’s better than it was. Thanks for the update

Hollywood! Whats up? When is Wrecking Crew 4?
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2022 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by seacamper seacamper wrote:

When is Wrecking Crew 4?

This seems like the perfect opportunity, doesn’t it?

We are going to run it hard this week and see what happens!
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2022 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

When is Wrecking Crew 4?

This seems like the perfect opportunity, doesn’t it?

We are going to run it hard this week and see what happens!

Let me know!! I did drop a Flyhigh pipe on my foot the other day. That may slow me down a bit:

I guess you could say Wrecking Crew 4 already started!

1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2022 at 3:34pm
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2022 at 9:46pm
So the update is..........it all worked out. We did get the boat cranked up on the hose, and I had the transmission indexed wrong. (long story....thanks Vince at Skidim for getting me straight) but we pulled the transmission, re-indexed it, threw it in the water, and it ran great. Don got to drive it around a bit, and it got a bit too cold for Don to ski. We put a new impeller in, but it seems to leak so we got the full rebuild kit. 
We take off for Oklahoma on New Years Day stopping at Naval Air Station Pensacola, then Barksdale AFB and then Tinker AFB. 
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic