Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - '97 Super Sport Control arm stripped from thread.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

'97 Super Sport Control arm stripped from thread.

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '97 Super Sport Control arm stripped from thread.
    Posted: January-09-2023 at 7:12pm
Hi y'all long time no visit here!
Let's see if you can help me out here. Tried adding photos but that's not possible currently it seems(?). Here's the error code I got, in case an admin sees this:
"error '80070070'

/forum/functions/functions_upload.asp, line 789"

But anyway, after 1800-something hours the thread has stripped on both the throttle control arm and the unit holding it. I could always tighten it with the small allen screw underneath, but not anymore.

Is there a (temporary, until I get the needed parts) fix fore this, or do I have to replace the whole $400 unit (item nr 4281 at NP)?

Thanks for your insights!

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2023 at 7:30am
From your description it sounds like the male shaft splines and the female splines on the handle are both stripped enough that there's no mating going on.

Here's a link to an old thread with some pictures that might help you explain things

I suppose that if I was desperate, I'd try clamping a pair of vise grips on the male splines and use that for the throttle handle.

I could see some issues with doing that though, like the vise grips falling off or slipping at just the wrong time............one of those do at your own risk type things  Wink
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2023 at 9:55am
I have had this happen with windshield wipers before and used JB weld.  But I suspect the torque involved on this application is going to be way more than the JB will withstand.  Try the visegrip idea from Keno.....with the old school wooden "correct craft" knob attached!!!  
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2023 at 10:27am
Thanks for rewording the issue, that's exactly what's going on. And another thanks for the link (with links in it, to other links; plenty reading done and to do still).
From what I've seen so far it's going to be a new control, doesn't look like there's a way to just change the stripped parts.

Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

From your description it sounds like the male shaft splines and the female splines on the handle are both stripped enough that there's no mating going on.

Here's a link to an old thread with some pictures that might help you explain things

I suppose that if I was desperate, I'd try clamping a pair of vise grips on the male splines and use that for the throttle handle.

I could see some issues with doing that though, like the vise grips falling off or slipping at just the wrong time............one of those do at your own risk type things  Wink
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2023 at 1:07pm
This may sound like a ton of work, but really isn't that bad.
The throttle lever can be drilled and re-threaded for a slightly larger set screw.
Position it on the shifter hub (the part that once had the splines). There is a groove machined in it that accepts the set screw. Then drill a shallow hole (a dent really) that will accept the tip of the set screw. That keeps the handle in place. Use blue loctite on the new threads. You can also add some JB weld in there if you like.
Saved a summer for me.
As far as I know it's still working out there...
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
winniskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote winniskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2023 at 6:57am
I have a used single MV Telefex control that might work for you.  PM me to discuss.

Jim
Jim
ScottZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScottZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2023 at 5:33pm
If none of your attempted repairs work I have a brand new complete controller I will sell you.
Scott Zuelzke
Lake Mitchell , AL

1984 Ski Nautique       
1972 Skier
audiodude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiodude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2023 at 7:44am
Hi a few years ago my old Saab splined transmission shaft wore out while we were about 100 miles from home.  We took some common pins and inserted them in the splines and drove the car home.  
1989 Correct Craft 2001

In the words of Milton Berle: "You can lead a man to Congress but you can't make him think"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic