Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PCM 40A transmission front cover

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
chris196 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PCM 40A transmission front cover
    Posted: April-02-2023 at 11:21pm
All,
I need to find a new front cover for a PCM 40A transmission.
I damaged my front cover in a quite dumb sequence of events.
Bottom line is I need to source a new cover.

Any ideas on where to find one?

thanks,
Chris
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2023 at 9:43am
I'd probably get on the phone and call FFI Marine and talk to Joe.  330-273-8291

He probably has some parts laying around Wink

Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2023 at 9:25am
I have a full core transmission ill sell ya for $350 plus shipping. its a 123-1 but front cover is the same..
I seen a shelf of series 40 used parts go to the scrap last year. Guy retired his mobile dock side service business in Orlando..
If it was me i would bite the bullet and replace the 40 with a new series 80A/kit.
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2023 at 10:23am
Jody:

What would be involved with a direct swap-out from an “old” 1.23:1 PCM 40 tranny to the new PCM 80A?  New damper plate, lines and cooler?  Would everything else bolt up?

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2023 at 4:28pm
Yes all of the above in the kit. just need to know ford or chebby... DM me with boat info ill send you a quote and drop ship info.
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
chris196 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2023 at 12:18pm
All,
Thanks for the advice.  
After further review of what I did, I think I may just "get away with it".
I've reassembled and putting back in boat now.
This will either work or blow up and then I think I'd just bite the bullet and go 80A.

Chris
ScottZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScottZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2023 at 5:29pm
I have a junk 40 transmission.  I am pretty sure I still have the front cover.  If I can put my hands on it I will sell it.
Scott Zuelzke
Lake Mitchell , AL

1984 Ski Nautique       
1972 Skier
chris196 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2023 at 10:34am
Scott, all,
Thanks for the offer and I'll reach out if I feel I need it.

At this point, I've put the transmission back in the boat.  I ran it in my driveway just idle speed.  I think it got to maybe 1300 rpms when first starting up.  It all sounded fine.  Of course, I wont' know until I actually run it in the lake.  But, the damage I did was to the front pump cover.  
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the pump will be spinning even in neutral as the engine is turning the input shaft whenever it is running.  So, even though I'm not spinning it up to say 3500 with a load, I am at least exercising the pump.
Good news is I didn't get the red transmission fluid all in the my bilge as I had all last year.
Fingers crossed.

Thanks,
Chris
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2023 at 12:48pm
Nothing to correct in what you said, it's always turning when the engine is turning Wink
chris196 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2023 at 4:37pm
An update to this.
I put a crack in my front transmission cover by applying too much force in reassembly.  It was really, really stupid and I'm still not sure how I was that stupid.  It's not my first rodeo with turning a wrench (I used to own a Triumph Spitfire, much wrench turning required).  But, I did what I did.
So, used some JB weld on the hairline crack.  I replaced the front seal and the 2 little orings and 1 big one.
I still have a leak, but not as bad as it was.  I have no idea if the leak is from the crack, the front seal or somewhere else.
Transmission is working ok, I can ski.
But it develops a delay when engaging in forward as the tranny fluid heats up.
Reverse seems to be fine at all times.
When I first put it in the water, all is good.  But by time I return to ramp, forward sees a noticeable delay in engagement.  Sometimes not engaging at all until I get the rpms up a little.  
My theory is that this is from the tranny fluid heating up and being less viscous.

Any thoughts?  

It gets the job done, but my wife is really complaining about it as she drives boat on trailer while I handle the truck, etc.

Thanks,
Chris
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2023 at 7:57pm
I think the only problem with your theory is that the max operating temperature of your transmission is 190 degrees  and it shouldn't have engagement issues even at the max temperature. You're probably a whole lot less than 190.

I'd guess that you have wear affecting the seals in the forward clutch piston, way deep inside the transmission and the warmer oil after running for a while can leak past the piston seals affecting the engagement speed.

I'd call Joe at FFI Marine and talk to him, he gives free advice, rebuilds them, has some hard to find parts and would offer to rebuild it for you too or sell you the parts Wink

Phone number is 330 273 8291
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2023 at 8:49am
Keno is spot on here with good advice.  Joe was easy to work with when I sent one to him.  
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
chris196 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2023 at 7:32pm
Thanks for the advice.  I will call Joe and most likely do this in the fall.
I do debate if I should get a new 80A or rebuild the 40A.

It is a 1998 ski with a GT-40 so you always worry about what's next.
Love the boat though.

Chris
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic