NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel leak down after aitting

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jmesser View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmesser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel leak down after aitting
    Posted: May-01-2023 at 3:31pm
Sorry if this is a duplicate, but nothing I've seen so far has my mind at ease. This is probably simple for some of you-
Equipment - I have a mid 90s 351, carbureted. Runs like a champ. Fish Nautique, mechanical fuel pump. Not original to the boat. Engine is GT40 but converted to carb.
Problem- I have found that when I leave it more than a day or so without cranking her, she does not have fuel pickup. So, I throw a splash of gas in the carb, she hits and starts drawing. For the rest of the day, seems ok with all starting. I have also noticed that sometimes when restarting after a couple hours she seems "laggy" until I rev it a few times then she clears up.
Question? - what can I do to avoid having this situation? I've had a few ski boats with the same engine and they always cranked right up.
I appreciate any insight and tips
Johnnie Messer
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2023 at 5:49pm
Is it safe to assume that you pump the gas a couple of times before turning the key on a cold start ?

Do you see gas squirt down the primary bores when the gas is pumped?

PS it's a converted ProTec engine from your earlier posts Wink
jmesser View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmesser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2023 at 6:20pm
Yes sir, I hit the throttle 3 times. I did notice that I am not getting fuel in the carb when I look in there. ... But after that first shot, yes she has fuel a plenty.
... I should note that I don't sit on the starter for 15 to 20 seconds. I don't want to burn anything out by doing that. .. but I would think the bowls keep a bit of fuel in them that could start her moving even after sitting a few days.
Johnnie Messer
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2023 at 8:44pm
So after its been running the accelerator pump works just fine?

I'd probably change the power valve in the primary metering block as a starting point.

If the diaphragm is cracked, it can cause drain down when not running and some rich conditions like you describe when starting after it sits for a short time.

Make sure you use the new gasket that comes with the power valve too.

It may or may not solve your problem but it's someplace to start at least Wink
jmesser View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmesser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2023 at 10:09pm
I will, thank you!
Johnnie Messer
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic