NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Finally got a slip, no lift yet-bilge question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
gravyleg pirate View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gravyleg pirate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Finally got a slip, no lift yet-bilge question
    Posted: May-08-2023 at 6:22pm
So we finally got a slip at our local marina but there is no lift yet and may be a while before one comes available. I don't want to leave her in the water but think we're going to try it. After poking around it seems that the most problems arise from gelcoat blisters that form, however I haven't gotten an answer yet on the bilge pump question. 

Will it need to have water pumped out while sitting there? If so, is my bilge pump wired so that the master battery switch won't disable it? How do I check? 2005 SV211 for reference

GLP
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane"

2000 Air Nautique 216 (for 19 years)
2005 Air Nautique SV211 (2 months and counting...)
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2023 at 8:04pm
Here's a link to the owners manual for your boat

You'll find what you're looking for on page 4-41 and 4-43

Since the boat's been around for 18 years, somebody may have changed things, so I'd probably test the auto bilge pump with the boat on the trailer to verify that it still functions as built. Have the boat sitting at about the same angle that it sits in the water

Start filling the bilge with a garden hose and verify that the pump starts with the master disconnect switch in OFF, bilge pump switch in Bilge Only

Gel coat has gotten better over the years and a 2005 boat shouldn't have any issues living in the water all summer
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gravyleg pirate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2023 at 10:05am
I've played with that automatic switch before and I wonder if it has been rewired sometime prior to me. I have never used the garden hose test on it though but will definitely do so. Just printed out the manual so I have a hard copy. Thanks for the link!
GLP

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2023 at 10:47am
Just a thought.... If the boat gets some Sunshine (maybe the stern) then think about getting a Solar trickle charger. Why not use the sun to keep the battery fresh. I've got one for mine that sits on the lift that doesn't get used too often. I think i paid around $25 for one off Amazon. So Far so good.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2023 at 12:35pm
A healthy coat of Collonites 925 marine wax will help keep things fresh.  I'd also recommend you plan to pull the boat every few weeks to clean the bottom.  
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gravyleg pirate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2023 at 5:44pm
Already not looking forward to lying on my back polishing the bottom!

Without looking are the solar chargers big enough now to run a trickle and a small fan for ventilation? When we're done for the day there will surely be some wetness that needs to evaporate. At home I have a box fan that I throw in for a couple of days to ensure it's dry, but at the dock I'm not certain that is the best idea. 
GLP

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2023 at 7:50pm
Click on the link and pick something.

The sun's pretty powerful, it should be able to power a battery trickle charger and a solar fan at the same time. Wink

Fixed the bad original link

Do you have a cover that breathes naturally like Sunbrella for example?
bwinn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2023 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Click on the link and pick something.

The sun's pretty powerful, it should be able to power a battery trickle charger and a solar fan at the same time. Wink

<span style="color: rgb0, 0, 255; text-decoration-line: underline;">link</span>
<span style="color: rgb0, 0, 255; text-decoration-line: underline;">
</span>
Do you have a cover that breathes naturally like Sunbrella for example?

Link no work
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2023 at 8:11pm
link works this time Wink

I went back and fixed the bad link too, Thanks
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gravyleg pirate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2023 at 8:20am
yes, we have a nice cover as far I can tell, it does have two vents over the windshield area. I'm just worried that there isn't enough air movement with the passive evaporation. I'm probably overthinking it as Kansas is very windy in the summer! 
GLP

peglegtoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peglegtoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2023 at 11:12pm
First year with a new to me boat the bilge pump failed on mooring. It had a fair amount of water in it by the time it was discovered as I had not been to it in a couple weeks. I replaced that pump and added a 2nd one on its own switch and fuse and outfall hose.
I also run a small solar panel to compensate for the bilge occasionally running and keeping the battery topped off. it has worked great.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gravyleg pirate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2023 at 10:38am
Any chance you have a photo of where you wired it in? I have a couple of guys who are handy with car electronics, but always appreciate people who have done it successfully!
GLP

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2023 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by peglegtoo peglegtoo wrote:

First year with a new to me boat the bilge pump failed on mooring. It had a fair amount of water in it by the time it was discovered as I had not been to it in a couple weeks. I replaced that pump and added a 2nd one on its own switch and fuse and outfall hose.
I also run a small solar panel to compensate for the bilge occasionally running and keeping the battery topped off. it has worked great.

That's pretty much the perfect setup for a boat on a mooring, dual bilge pumps and a trickle charge to keep batteries fresh.

'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic