NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GT40 conversion to carb

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2023 at 7:58am
I think on my Summit shopping list I'd have

An intake manifold, Edelbrock Performer, Performer RPM, Weiand Stealth

Carburetor mounting studs SUM G-1423 should be good

An adapter plate SUM G-1420 if you're using an Edelbrock performer. It provides a wider seating surface for the carburetor.

Intake manifold gaskets FelPro 1262 S3 work good 

A carburetor of your choice

An oil pressure safety switch for the fuel pump. Holley 12-810 is easy to wire and works good.

Your new LP fuel pump for the gt40 should work just fine supplying a carburetor since PCM used it for that purpose on some carbureted engines.

Some marine fuel line from pump to carnuretor 

A marine distributor of your choice. If a DUI is your choice, it looks like you'll need a second choice because Summit's shipping dates on the DUI for your Ford all seem to be at least a couple of months away. 

You may need to talk to a human voice on the phone about this.

They do have A Pertronix D231800 and you'd need a coil like a Pertronix Flame Thrower to go with it. 

You could shop at SkiDim or Nautique parts and pay way, way over list price for a DUI distributor if they have it in stock Confused

A flame arrestor, not knowing how much clearance you'll have between the engine box and your carburetor depending on manifold choice, the lower the profile, the better. What works on a Holley doesn't necessarily work on a Quick Fuel due to the external float adjustment screws on the Quick Fuel sticking up a bit. A little dimpling of the bottom of the arrestor sometimes helps.

It's getting a little pricey, but does what you want to do............ like save your summer and let you go skiing  

And very importantly..............you will be Jonny's hero for actually doing this but only if you use a Quick Fuel and a DUI with a RED cap 
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2023 at 10:08am
JQ is watching this thread very closely.  
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
macey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2023 at 11:07am
Have ordered all parts required to convert to carburetor. I'm sure there will be others who will in the future consider this change and possibly some currently who are considering it. I will leave an update of my conversion as and when it completes and report on how it turns out. Many thanks again to Jonny Quest and Keno who have been a great help. At current prices with top quality compnents the parts cost of conversion is pretty much exactly $2000. 
Once removed I intend to have both the ECU and the loom tested, part of me would still like to diagnose the initial problem but at 22 years of age I would assume I will not refit the injection system.
Will keep you posted.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2023 at 12:40pm
I will also watch for your updates with great interest.  Best of luck with the work!
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
BobinIL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobinIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2023 at 6:57am
I will be following this tread with great anticipation as well,  my 97 sport GT40 has ben unusable for 3 years now due to the engine cutting out one warmed up.  I have literally changed everything but the ECM.  My local dealer has it now trying to figure out what is going on.  I am so fed up with this thing that I would gladly convert it to carb if i would have a reliable boat again.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2023 at 12:09pm
What dealer did you take it to Bob? 
most don't seem to want to work on something over 10 years old. I suspect it's more like eats alot of time and not many have the experience or access to parts.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
BobinIL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobinIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2023 at 10:53am
I took it to Liquid Edge in Farmer City.  Doug is an old friend of mine and has made some progress.  He has had it for about a month and determined that the HP fuel pump is getting hot and cutting out.  It will continue to run with the engine cover up to aid in cooling.  We are currently looking for restrictions in fuel flow.  Possibly the return line.  
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2023 at 11:43am
The pump is cooled by the fuel flow.  I suspect the pump is failing and the wires are what are getting hot from too much load.   Fuel in these pumps flows right over all the moving parts.   They normally do not get hot unless your fuel flow is restricted or you are out of gas.  If these pumps are run dry, no fuel flowing they self destruct in a matter of seconds.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic