Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

High idle

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
leftseat88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leftseat88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: High idle
    Posted: June-23-2023 at 9:54pm
96 Sport with GT40 and EFI. Normally my boat idles at 700rpm, been that way since I bought it in 2010, never had any issues.  Lately on occasion, the idle will increase to approximately 1200-1300rpm.  The last time, I foolishly put it in gear and the transmission didn't like that at all, loud "clunk".  Any ideas on what I should start with to fix/diagnose? The only way I could get the rpm back down was to shut off the boat and restart.  

Jason
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2023 at 9:38am
Do you mean that you start it and it goes high and stays there or maybe that you drive it around and when you come back to idle it stays high and then you have to turn it off, restart and the idle is normal after that?

Here's a link to some reading about IAC valves to at least give you somewhere to start

I'd also check that the butterfly in the throttle body is clean and consistently returns to the same position every time.

With the throttle cable disconnected and the flame arrestor off, you can flip the throttle open by hand and see if it always returns to the same idle speed
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic