NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

O2 sensors in factory risors

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: O2 sensors in factory risors
    Posted: June-24-2023 at 5:25pm

1988 Barefoot nautique-454
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2023 at 5:29pm

DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2023 at 5:32pm
Phase one of EFI the 454. Get o2 sensors in there. 
Efi aint coming this season so just hooking up a wide band sensor for the time being to fret out any issues with the mounting location. If she lasts a season wothout issues hopefully efi will be next. 
1980SN2001 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1980SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2023 at 11:30am
Originally posted by DayTony DayTony wrote:

Phase one of EFI the 454. Get o2 sensors in there. 
Efi aint coming this season so just hooking up a wide band sensor for the time being to fret out any issues with the mounting location. If she lasts a season wothout issues hopefully efi will be next. 

Very impressive, very clean and nice work! Clap

I referenced your thread when I was talking about putting my Holley Sniper EFI system as a mounting option for the O2 sensor. 
1980 SN Project
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2023 at 9:01am
Thanks, That's the goal here is to eventually go with a sniper EFI.
But since that system is not able to run open-loop long term and relies on one single o2 feedback which it lives and dies by I wasn't about to drop the coin to convert without knowing reliability of that system. 

So my test this season did not really give me the warm fuzzy feeling i was hoping for from the addition of the bosch sensor. It worked nicely right up through all RPMs for almost a week. Then the sensor stopped working, I suspect it's contaminated and or moisture has ruined it. Gauge now fires up, goes through its little startup feature then pins to full lean. So back to drawing board. I will be replacing this bosch with a new one and trying a spacer which brings it further out from the exhaust path. I am not positive that will change anything however.
boatdawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote boatdawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2023 at 1:45pm
I did a Sniper EFI conversion a couple of years ago.  I don't have the cast iron welding skills to install the O2 sensor bung myself so I had a machine shop to do it.  It works really well.  I used this product. Made it through two seasons and still doing well.  Hope this helps. 

https://howellefi.com/product/adaptor-o2-sensor-for-marine-use/
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2023 at 7:32am
I had seen those before, I basically accomplished the same thing for a little cheaper by just welding it. either is a viable option in my opinion. 
For next season i plan to stick a spacer to bring the sensor a little out of the direct flow. I suspect it stopped reading because of that. 
the way that brass adapter is designed it would bring the sensor face closer to the walls of the riser so it may be the reason you haven't had a problem and mine did.

Boatdawg, are you still running on your original o2 supplied with the kit?
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2023 at 9:43am
Very cool. Nice work
Classic car shops do that a lot
boatdawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boatdawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2023 at 3:28pm
Yes.  Still using original O2 sensor.  Had to modify the engine cover to make room for it sticking out to the side. The machine shop installed it from the outside of the the exhaust riser.   I can't remember if there was a reason for that decision.  
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1980SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2023 at 3:32pm
How are you monitoring the O2 sensor?
1980 SN Project
Greg_SA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg_SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2023 at 11:54pm
What about these plates at the risers?

https://affordable-fuel-injection.com/product/marine-o2-sensor-adapter-plate/

I was wondering if it would be useful to add O2 sensors using these plates to check the AFR on an engine with a carb (using an AFR gauge).
1989 Ski Nautique (SN2001)
boatdawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boatdawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2023 at 9:21am
The o2 sensor is monitored by the holley sniper efi computer. It automatically adjusts the AFR.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1980SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2023 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by boatdawg boatdawg wrote:

The o2 sensor is monitored by the holley sniper efi computer. It automatically adjusts the AFR.

Sorry I should have been more specific, Day Tony how are you monitoring the O2 sensor? It sounds like you don't yet have the Holley Sniper EFI system?
1980 SN Project
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2023 at 7:35am
you could always swap the risers to put the sensor on inboard side vs sticking out.

DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2023 at 7:48am
Sorry i didn't mention before. no I do not have EFI yet. she's happily running the 750 quick fuel at the moment. 
I had read about people having issues with the o2 sensors on efi systems failing in the wet exhaust systems so i opted to test for a season with an AFR gauge and wideband o2. I am glad i did because now i know it works for about a week. haha

I was getting readings from the AFR right where it should be all the way throughout all rpms for the first couple of days then it would fire up and goes to full lean (default on the o2 when it fails) i know nothing changed in the carb so that tells me o2 went faulty. 

Now if i were running an efi system I may not even notice if the o2 goes bad because it will just compensate and dump gobs of fuel down her throat. depends how the system is programmed.
but yes, to answer your question i installed this gauge to monitor afr and the sensor.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic