Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fix or move along?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fix or move along?
    Posted: June-16-2004 at 11:25pm
I recently wrecked my 93 ski nautique. the ins. co totalled it and will pay me off. (around 14k) They offered it to me for around $3000. it was a great running boat before accident. Super clean interior, pro boss w/ 550 hrs. repair work is nearly all glass work along with new prop, shaft, strut, 3 fins and maybe rudder. should i buy it, fix it, part it out, or forget about it? any serious opinions,or options would be great.
Thanks, Darrel in so cal
yellowdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2004 at 12:05pm
If you are asking if the boat can be fixed, the answer is yes. Time and money, my friend, time and money.

If you are asking if the boat can be repaired for for a reasonable sum without spending more than it is worth, the answer is yours to learn. You need to go get estimates for the repairs and sort it all out.

But wait! Before you waste your time, the insurance company has already done all that and decided that financially, the answer is NO.

Look at it this way; they take your wrecked boat, give you 14k to go buy another boat or put against a more expensive one, and you get the use of a boat all summer. OR, you pay them 3k, keep the wreck, get the wreck fixed, probably spend way more than the 11k difference in the boats value, and then you get to fight with the repair guys all summer long while your buddies are out on the water.

On the other hand, one need not accept what an insurance company first offers. What is (was) your boat worth in SoCal? If it is (was) substantially more than the 14k offered, prove it to them and they will probably up the payout. These guys are in business to make money. If they can save a buck by paying you less, they will.

So, unless this boat has a great sentimental value or some other huge redeeming grace, take the money and get a new boat.
Caretaker of the wife's '78 Ski Nautique
FinsofFury View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FinsofFury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2004 at 3:02pm
Totally agree w/ the dog! Find some more out there that are available in your area for more $$! A friend did that with his car and got another $3K from the insurance company. Get quotes from dealers. Do your research.
89 Martinique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89 Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2004 at 3:32pm
Darrel,

To follow-up on the previous two messages, is the boat an open or closed bow? Open bow's in so cal are hard to find and sell for a premium. So if it is an Open Bow you may be able to squeeze a few more dollars out of the ins co. I checked the boat trader for Ski's between 1992-1994 and found most of them at or above 14K in cal and those were mostly closed bows.

I am sorry that you wrecked your boat, but would be interested to know how/where it happened. I use my boat in so cal and would like to know of problem areas.
Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2004 at 8:11pm
Thanks for your responses! Going from last to first. Its a closed bow. The wreck happened near Blythe on the Colo. River.
Night driving...into a rock jetty, dont need to be going fast to cause lots of damage. I reccommend steering clear of 20 ft. high rock jettys in the future.
The thought behind keeping the boat was/is that i can 1. part the good stuff out for close to the 3K. Then i still have the trailer. it supports 4ooolbs. and i would reconfigure for a dune buggy trailer for not too much $. 2. i could do a lot of the labor of removing and replacing engine and interior myself and only pay for the glass work(im waiting on est. now). if i could get that done for around 7K i would have a new looking boat for 10K that i could sell. Now, what will it be worth? 3. I have access to a 95 prostar 190 for this summer and i have the extra cash to buy another boat while project is going on.
The $ the insurance co is paying me is the dollar figure that i had the boat/trailer insured for minus deductible. The boat i want to buy is a gonna cost around 18K. So there is a sig. diff. Recc. everyone check their insurance to see what your coverage and limits are.
Thanks to all.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89 Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2004 at 10:08pm
Darrel,

Thanks for the heads up. I have never been to Blythe. I mostly ski near Needles, CA on the River.

If you want to get a second opinion on the damage repair I can recommend a shop in Corona that has done work for me in the past (new floor, etc.).

Flores Boat Works (909) 520-0208

David
Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2004 at 4:19pm
Thanks i will contact Flores..if he can do it inexpensive it may work. im starting to think i may have to take up a new hobby...glass work. I dont want to put 13K into it to get it back in shape. I may have to part it out. Decision time soon.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89 Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2004 at 4:45pm
Darrel,

Curious about what you desided...
Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2004 at 11:03pm
I bought the boat. 2 actually. I bought my 93 back from insurance company. Also bought a close to perfect 95 ski nautique on a really great tandum trailer. the decision i havnt made is to part out the 93 or get more bids on glasswork and i guess be willing to do more work myself. not sure if i can bring myself to actually dismantel a great boat.
By the way if you like Needles you would love Blythe. Water is a lot warmer, no crowds, great skiing/boarding water...
66polyhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66polyhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2004 at 11:13pm
Fix it, sell it, and buy the 68 Barracuda from Steve in Hood River, OR for $4000.00!!!
Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2004 at 11:32pm
The last 68 i owned was a Dodge Charger with a big mean 383. No, i dont want any old boats i like boats like my women...a little younger and a few less hours on em.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic