NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1996 SN with GT40- trans fluid oddity

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
2tall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2tall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1996 SN with GT40- trans fluid oddity
    Posted: September-24-2023 at 2:51pm
I have a 96 Ski Nautique with the gt-40 and pcm trans. Right on the transmission it states dexron II D. I know I can use Valvoline dex/merc atf in there and I was planning to change it out.
Here is the strangeness that I need help with:
The fluid that is in there now has been there for 7 seasons and is super clean and looks brand new... It is a transparent almost clear oil looking stuff. It is NOT red like dex/merc atf is and should be.
I check it every year and it remains clean and perfect and never goes down so I have left it.
I don't know if I should suck it all out and put in dex/merc?
Or leave it?
Or suck it out, put in some dex/merc then suck that out to get all the old stuff out? Then fill with dex/merc...??

I am confused by the color of it and the longevity. Any advice would be appreciated.
2Tall - 1996 Ski Nautique GT-40
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2023 at 12:56pm
I guess you didn't change it when you asked about it in 2017, see the link below Wink

You must have bought the boat just before that?

link

I figure most people would say you have to change it religiously every 50 hrs or every season or it'll bite the dust on you.

Then there are those that would say, no leaks, no issues, leave it alone. Plenty use that philosophy with their transmission.

It's probably some hydraulic fluid in there now based on your description.

If you're worried about it all these years later, maybe it's time to change it a couple times 

2tall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2tall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2023 at 11:18am
Oh that's funny, I forgot about that thread. I never changed it back then. I chickened out because it was so clean and I didn't want to ruin anything.
You are right, I am worried about it all these years later because it seems like no fluids should still be used after several years of use. If I do change it this year I think I will take your advice and change it like 2 or 3 times to make sure it's all dex/merc in there.
2Tall - 1996 Ski Nautique GT-40
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2023 at 7:33pm
Since you've had all that time to think about it, hopefully you're gonna use a metal suction tube hooked to whatever you're sucking the fluid out with just to avoid the stuck plastic tube that sometimes happens. Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic