Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hull Blisters

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
firemandave257 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firemandave257 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hull Blisters
    Posted: October-10-2023 at 3:27pm
I have a 92 SN.  My hull looks like the face of a teenager.  I have small blisters covering 90% of the bottom.  The boat has been left in the water the last 5+ summers.  What is the best solution?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2023 at 5:40pm
Unlike the teenager, there's nothing you can put on to make it go away 

You could leave it the way it is and drive it, or grind all the bad gel coat off and redo it or have it redone

Lots of labor..........lots of money if you're paying somebody else to do it Wink

samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2023 at 9:02am
If the rest of your boat is in good/great shape, I would be on the lookout for a 90-93 (94-96 if you like those graphics too) hull being parted out.  You could take a good hull for cheap and switch it in.  93+ also have composite stringers.  I would think that would be easier and cheaper if the entire hull is affected by the blisters.  
78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351
andrewmarani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewmarani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2023 at 4:59pm
I cut out and repaired blisters on the bottom of a 15 foot Boston Whaler Rage.  Spent 3 or 4 weekends on my back under the boat with a Dremel Tool and TotalBoat fairing compound.  Then I coated it with two coats of TotalBoat barrier coat.  Lovely when done but not a pleasant experience and that wasn't a real bad blister situation.  Blister repair isn't hard to do but it takes patience and is time consuming.
Builder
Jass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2023 at 10:11pm
I had a '92 SN as well which I left in the water for several summers and it too developed blisters all over the hull below the water line.  None of the blisters popped so it was just ugly below the water and probably impacted the speed slightly.  I chose to just live with it and ran it like that for several years until I went to a newer model SN.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic