Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Epoxy or 3M 5200 for Below-the -Waterline Hole?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Epoxy or 3M 5200 for Below-the -Waterline Hole?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Epoxy or 3M 5200 for Below-the -Waterline Hole?
    Posted: December-19-2023 at 8:45pm
I've been tinkering on ny new-to-me Ski Nautique 206.  The boat is a 2003 model year with pitot speedometers and a paddlewheel Perfect Pass system.  I removed the pitot pickups and tubing that feeds the Faria gateway box as moisture intrusion is very bad ju-ju.  Currently, the gateway box and gauges are working, and I'm hoping to keep that system working.

So now I have 2 through-transom holes to fill.  These holes were the entry point for the pitot tubes and are below the waterline.  I've got everything removed and now I need to address the holes.  Both holes look to be 1/4" diameter.  I'm considering running a 1/4" drill bit through the holes to clean them up a bit.  Then I'll run a pipe / tube cleaner followed by compressed air.  Once that's done, I need to fill the holes.  I'm looking for recommendations from the group as my fiberglass expertise is non-existent. 

My current thought process is:

1.  Thickened epoxy (tinted white)
- tape on both sides and injected with an epoxy syringe
2.  J-B Weld Marine Epoxy, white
3.  3M 5200

Any advice or counsel from the group?

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2023 at 10:55pm
-
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2023 at 6:12am
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

So now I have 2 through-transom holes to fill.  

So.............You going for a fix that looks like the holes were never there or maybe something easy and functional that'll fill the holes and they'll never leak?
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2023 at 6:20am
JQ, You can use epoxy resin below the waterline to fill the holes where the pitot tubes were BUT.... If you're planning on gelcoating over the repair it ain't gonna work. The two don't agree with each other chemically. If you're gonna gelcoat over the holes then you'll need to use a polyester resin. 

I recently did this on the 99 SN as a previous owner dropped in perfect pass. It too has an "extra" hole in the hull where the paddle wheel was installed and then they upgraded to the GPS system. The paddle wheel is pretty much obsolete BUT it leave it connected as the paddle wheel "transducer" does have a water temp sensor in it. Even though PP uses GPS for speed you'll still know what the water temp is on the PP display. Since someone upraded PP further to GPS, I didn't need the extra pitot so I filled the holes with polyester resin mixed with milled fibers. Only reason for the fibers was to make a peanut butter paste as straight resin will just run out of the holes. Use a razor blade as a "squeegee" to fill the holes and jab a toothpick in the hole to pop any air bubbles that might be trapped in the hole. Where the tubing runs all the way through the stern you can just keep filing the hole and stop when you think you've filled it (as long as you have no gaps) or IF you can get to the back side of it, put a piece of tape over the hole to prevent it from oozing out. 
 Once the holes are filled then put a piece of scotch tape over the holes to prevent it from flowing out of the repaired hole. Once cured then lightly sand and dish out or taper sand the hole slightly and use a razor blade to apply gel over it if you choose.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2023 at 8:44am
KENO:
As these transom holes are under the swim platform, I'm less concerned with aesthetics and more concerned with functionality.  I've even considered running a 1/4" SS bolt through the holes and bed the bolts with 5200.  I'm quite certain that won't leak...

Foot:
Good advice on the poly resin paste.  I do have some white gelcoat somewhere, but no poly resin...

Still scratching my head...

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2023 at 11:42am
I wouldn't go out and buy some PE resin just for that. I'd be tempted to just fill the holes with gelcoat.. You could always just fill em' with epoxy and try gelling over it. Probably won't adhere for very long but the hole is so small anyway it may not just matter. Could always use a white paint pen to cover the hole once it's filled with epoxy. Ermm
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2023 at 12:40pm
-
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2023 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

http://spectrumcolor.com/search?q=nautique&options%5Bprefix%5D=last     
I had the Nautique paste on that link above and now it's not going to that page, but thats the company who makes the 2 OZ kits-

That's because Spectrum  uses that other name...........Correct Craft

Choices, choices Jonny.........anywhere from the below 10 bucks repair to the well over 100 bucks repair Wink

PS............. Don't scratch your head too much, there's no hair up there to hide the scratches
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2023 at 2:36pm
-
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2023 at 8:01pm
I have a redneck half-assery idea I'm working on.  However, I need to push the pause button as our Christmas guests just arrived.  I'll post a pic or 2 after the Holidays.  Mrs. Quest was not thrilled that I was out in the garage working on the "new boat" while she was engaged in Christmas preparations.  I'm off to put on my Grinch costume...

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night.

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2023 at 9:07pm
It will still be there.  MERRY CHRISTMAS!

outerbanked View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outerbanked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2023 at 11:10pm
I’d use a counter sink bit to make a “bow tie” shaped hole. >=< The repair will lock itself in. 3m vinyleaster heavy duty putty is my favorite. It has fiberglass fibers already mixed in. Don’t forget to use packing tape around your repair. Then you can throw a piece of packing tape over it to keep it from running out/ cut your sanding down.
Vinyleaster is also water proof. So you can wait longer to gelcoat.
You can gelcoat epoxy, but you need to wipe the amine blush off, and make sure it has fully cured.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2024 at 6:17pm
The weather in Utah-Land finally warmed up to where I felt like working on the Ski Nautique 206.  After removing the two pitot pick-ups and the two hoses, there were 10 holes in the transom that needed attention.  The post above by outerbanked gave me the idea and this is my redneck half-assery solutioin:

1.  Hole Preparation.  I prepared holes by re-drilling and cleaning with a bore-style wire brush.  Then I chamfered the holes by running a larger bit backwards.

2.  Packing Tape.  I then covered the holes with clear packing tape.  (inside & outside)

3.  Epoxy.  Using an epoxy syringe, I filled each hole with JB Weld Marine Epoxy.  To fill a hole with epoxy, I simply made a very small hole in the packing tape at each hole opening.  The tiny hole in the packing tape was just large enough to allow the tip of the epoxy syringe to fit inside.  When each hole was filled, I put another piece of packing tape over the top of the first piece.  This makes the epoxy go flat with the transom and takes care of any excess epoxy that may have oozed out of the tiny holes when the syringe was removed.

I'm going to let this cure for another hour or so and then remove the tape.  As the repair is below the waterline, I am most concerned with function, and much less concerned with aesthetics.  This is below the ski platform, so I doubt anybody will notice.

JQ

Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2024 at 9:14pm
Final Result

I covered the epoxy filled holes with some 316 stainless disks.  I used 3M 5200 to seal the s/s disks in place.  

JQ

Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2024 at 7:25pm
And there you have it 
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2024 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by NCH20SKIER NCH20SKIER wrote:

And there you have it 

As the Brits are fond of saying: "and Bob's your uncle"
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2024 at 5:44am
Nice job JQ. The disks are a bit overkill IMHO but if anyone asks I guess you can just tell them they're torpedo 
tube outer doors for the @$$holes. Wink
Faceplant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2024 at 7:03pm
Nice job!!  Looks very finished.
Feels like I am hanging 10 but in reality - probably hanging 6.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic