Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1986 BFN Drivers seat and footrest help needed

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
LennyBoat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LennyBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1986 BFN Drivers seat and footrest help needed
    Posted: March-18-2024 at 7:27am
Hello everyone, we're currently in the process of rebuilding a BFN from 1986.

We purchased the boat disassembled, which means we weren't able to take pictures or measurements of the driver's seat and footrest.

Does anyone who has undertaken a BFN rebuild have any pictures of what the footrest should look like, or perhaps dimensions to share?"

Same goes for the location of the drivers seat.

Many thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Lenny
AZ86SKI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ86SKI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2024 at 7:18pm
I have a 1986 SN that looks very similar to the photos you posted, to include the style of the driver's seat. I'm not sure if the measurements you are looking for would be the exact same between the two boats, but they do appear to be the same regarding the driver's seat.

On mine, the driver's seat base that attaches to the floor, sits 19.5 inches from the base of the footrest to the front of the seat base, assuming your footrest is in it. If it is not, then the rear of the seat base sits 13 inches in front of the rectangular cutout for the motor bay and you should be able to work these measurements from the back to the footrest. The port side of the seat base sits 6.5 inches from the side of the observer's seat base. On the starboard side the seat base sits 2.5 inches at the front and 6.5 inches at the rear the starboard side of the boat. The discrepancy on the starboard side is due to the curve of the boat.  

Hopefully, that makes sense. I know the feeling of sitting in a non running boat, I have done a lot of that. Big smile  Keep up the great work on your restoration. If you need any further measurements, just let me know. 
LennyBoat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LennyBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2024 at 6:29am
Hi!

Thanks for taking the time to answer and listing all the dimensions, much appreciated!
I found following picture online:

It looks like there is more space between the engine and seat in the BFN than in the SN.
(Or i'm really bad at guessing a distance, but it looks considerably more than 13 inches)

I also found the following picture of the footrest:

This gives me a good view of the footrest, but I noticed the floor slopes down?? not sure this is original, but I definitely did not think about that when installing the floor...

I'm guessing that in the end it doesn't really matter where the seat goes exactly, as long as its comfortable, but I would hate to make a mistake and be reminded of it each time I take place behind the wheel as the footrest is quite permanent once installed.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2024 at 6:40am
The picture you posted is an 87 which has the shorter front deck and the seats are farther forward than the earlier years like yours

Like you said, put the seat where it's comfortable for you Wink
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2024 at 6:40am
Apples to oranges as that is a 87-88 with a different deck (shorter nose) than a 86. That floor (or carpet) and airbox pictured do not look factory.

Put the drivers seat as far right as you can, it just shouldn’t hit the gunnel at any point in its travel (forward likely tightest).

Front/back, would center the travel for a medium height person. Feet should be just touching the airbox.
LennyBoat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LennyBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2024 at 9:38am
I never realised there was a difference in the length of the nose between 86 and later years!

Thanks for the input!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic