NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tachometer failure

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tachometer failure
    Posted: June-11-2024 at 4:12am
Got the 1995 out for clean up and season prep today.  Fired it up and ran it 15 minutes, Timmy T still working perfectly.  Thanks Tim.  Tach has not budged yet?  I assume some moisture must have got in.  Boat was outside this winter with 3 cover layers, tried to keep it dry.  I could see moisture in the hour meter lens so I know some moisture found a way in.
Still need to change oil and impeller.  Everything else is working perfectly.

Any quick fix to get a tach working again?   I replaced tachs in 2 previous boats but hope to fix this one.  4 day trip this weekend, a working tach would be nice.

Thanks
Mark
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2024 at 7:23am
I'd probably pull the dash panel enough to access the back of the tach and see if any of the wires came off the connectors on the back of the tach and at least wiggle or remove and reinstall each connection to be sure they're clean and tight when you put them back on.

While you're there you might find a little, not too easy to see, selector for the input signal. Probably buried in a little hole and you need a small flat blade screwdriver to turn it. 

It would be set on 8 but if you cycle it to the 6 position and back to 8 a few times, any corrosion on the contacts might clean up and maybe it'll start working again.

Page 6-4 of the link below shows the tach wiring from the coil

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2024 at 10:58am
Thanks Ken, Kind of what I was thinking, unfortunately my water heater decided to die last night so it gets fixed before the boat this week.   
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2024 at 12:12pm
I think you need to check on your priorities!!Wink
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2024 at 1:18pm
I failed to share my wife is TOUGH, has some hidden Italian genes I think.   Her Hot Water takes priority over our camping trip with the boat.   She has been working to train me for 42 years now.  I learn slow.   ( or I tune out well).  

FYI:  water heater shock, old unit 20 years old gas §0 gallon was around $600 new.   Similar unit today?  $2600-4200.   And they say we have low inflation?   Edit:  checked tag on the failed Water Heater, only 5 years old, built in Aug of 2019.  My memory is failing for sure.  
The previous WH went 20 years.  Quality is falling off.
Thanks 
Tomrupp View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomrupp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2024 at 1:45pm
Try the 6,8…6,8 move on the water heater. It might work and the dial is way more accessible than the tach.
Tom
94 Ski Nautique Open Bow 351 with Carb
95 Double Decker Aqua Patio with 50hp Honda (3 carbs).
1980SN2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1980SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2024 at 3:47pm
I came on just now to post a question about my tachometer as well but it seems like there is already some good advice about what to check. Smile

MrMcD where are you going camping with the boat? I have heard Lake Almanor is nice but we haven't been. We have only taken the Ski Nautique to Folsom becuase its 15 minutes from us but I am looking for alternatives as we are getting a little tired of all the idiots on jet skis during the weekends.
1980 SN Project
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2024 at 5:54pm
We will be camping just outside Auburn, unfortunately a great water ski lake has been taken over by paddle boards and kayaks...

Not sure how our great government allows this, they charge actual boats to launch but Kyaks or paddle boards are free.   You can wait 45 minutes to launch now because these guys choose to pump up the toys right on the dock blocking the ramps.   The Park Rangers pretty much allow it.   I don't argue they have an equal right to the water but for crying out loud they have no right to block boat ramps.  And boats are now outnumbered 10 to 1.
Try coming around a corner skiing to find 12 kayakers blocking the middle of the lake.   Change is going to happen and it will not favor us with boats.
Faceplant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2024 at 9:33pm
Our little lake is kayak central also. Very frusterating !!
Feels like I am hanging 10 but in reality - probably hanging 6.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2024 at 10:18pm
OK, water heater is now replaced and working well.  The bad news, the leaking water heater was new in Aug of 2019.   Not even 5 years to failure.  I know about replacing the anodes, but this unit is working in the basement, I have no vertical height to pull the anode and replace it.   The previous one lasted 25 years.  I was lucky to find a good unit local and get that problem fixed without too much fuss.  New Heater is now 4" wider than the old one due to regulations increasing insulation values.  I guess that is good.

Tomorrow I will get back at the boat.  Oil Change, Impeller, Brakes and Bearing check and then the tachometer hopefully!  Checked the battery, disconnected over the winter it was stored with 12.6V and came out of storage with 12.3V, I did have the neg cable disconnected the whole time.  
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2024 at 5:40pm
An easy way to see if the signal is making it to the tach is to unhook the black ground wire and the gray signal wire and hook a test light between the 2 wires.

With the engine running, the light will be lit and flickering really, really fast, and that tells you the signal is making it to the back of the tach from the coil.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2024 at 12:59pm
Thanks again Ken, after cleaning up the boat, checking the bearings and fixing one brake, trailer lights all good this year.  New Impeller installed.  I fired it up again, the tach worked perfectly.   I had not done anything to fix it.   
Reading about Faria tach failures one note I read said if your battery was fully charged and the tach did not work to drain the battery a little and try again?   The battery was just fully charged when my tach failed.   2 days later it worked perfectly.   Given that time is short for this weekends trip I am going to load the boat and go.  
Thanks for the tips on fixing the tach, I am sure since it failed once I will have to deal with it again probably soon.  I will keep the notes handy for the actual test and repair.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2024 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

Reading about Faria tach failures one note I read said if your battery was fully charged and the tach did not work to drain the battery a little and try again?   The battery was just fully charged when my tach failed.   2 days later it worked perfectly.  

That'd make you think that the alternator output voltage being around 14ish volts would make the tach quit 

I'll guess that a little corrosion on a connector burned off.

Have a good trip, don't run over any kayaks Wink
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2024 at 1:39am
Boat ran like a top all weekend, Tach did not, first 2 days it was reading but always about 2-400 RPM high, day 3 it read 6,000 RPM all day.  Day 4 it went back to reading 2-400 RPM high so it has an issue I need to get back to.   Unfortunately the Brake Controller, old Atwood decided to go south.  They are no longer available so I have to decide to rebuild it or just replace it, the Titan looks like a straight swap?   
On the brake controller/ Atwood unit this boat came to me with Silicone Dot 5 fluid which I have stayed with but in 10 years I have had 2 brake cylinders fail and the Master is now failed twice.   Has me wondering if Dot 3 or 4 would give better service in my boat trailer, I know this would involve a full system flush but might be worth it if I can keep the cylinders working.   Off subject since this is supposed to be about the TACH.   When I get a chance I will get to the tach.  I really like the Nautique original tach with the logo on the face, hope I don't have to replace it.  With a Half tank of last years gas and a 1/2 tank of Premium purchased last week it ran out to 46 MPH with the 422 prop, RPM unknown but it was smooth and working perfectly so no real complaints.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2024 at 8:55am
Mark:

On my 1994 DHL trailer, it had an Atwood surge coupler for drum brakes -- welded on.  I took an angle grinder to it and cut that bad boy off.  Then I installed a new bolt-on surge unit (I couldn't find all the replacement parts),  I wanted to upgrade to disk brakes, so I knew that I needed a disk surge coupler anyway.  Cutting the old Atwood unit off was the only hard part of the disk brake upgrade.  I went with a Dexter kit that worked well.  Loved the results.  I was sad to see that trailer go…

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2024 at 1:29pm
Thanks JQ, I think I will stick with Drum brakes although I have thought of adding brakes to the rear axle.  I will take a look at the Dexter coupler.  With the removable tongue it will be easy to cut off the old unit and weld or bolt on the new unit.

Edit:  I looked up the Dexter coupler and ordered it JQ.  The old Atwood has a shock inside and I can't find any spare parts for it at all so I guess it was time to upgrade and the Dexter coupler has a couple of nice upgrades over the Atwood design.  I think it is a good choice.
Swapping to disc brakes would be nice but I keep telling myself my boating days are nearing an end so how much do I want to invest.
Most of my group of skiers have now sold off their boats.  Dang.  Getting older is reality.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2024 at 11:18pm
I pulled the dash out today and inspected the Tach.  Grey wire was a little loose, pinched it a little and it is now tight.  The set dial for the tach is odd, I could clearly see the 2 -3-4-5-6 but where 8 should be it was blank but that is where my dial was pointing.  I worked it back and forth and then back to where I thought 8 should be.  It was straight opposite of 4 so I think it is situated correct.   Found 5 dash lights were out.   Replaced those.  Have yet to run it and see if the Tach works.  I see Faria has a matching tach but it would no longer say Ski Nautique right on the tach face.  I would miss that.  I like the original look.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2024 at 1:22pm
Pulled the dash a second time because the tach is reading 4-500 PRM high after my playing with the setting on the back of the tach, Timmy T hooked up engine running, dash wired but loose not bolted down I was able to tilt the dash up and adjust the tach while running.   Unfortunately I did not have a second tach hooked up for confirmation but I recall having a 700 RPM idle so I tuned it till my idle is 700 on the Nautique tach.   I started and shut down several times, ran it at 2,000 RPM for a bit.  Each time it has stayed steady.   Looking forward to a water test to see if the tach has been saved.  For now it works.  Grey wire was a little loose on first tear down and I know some moisture did get in over the winter.  For now fingers crossed.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic